Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JCM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne Troy
 
Posts: n/a
Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

Judging from the questions you're asking, you may want to format your
pictures as Inline with text.
It also sounds, in this question, like you've got indents on your
paragraphs. I would create a style for my graphics and NOT indent the
paragraph.
http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...oft_word.ht m
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JCM" wrote in message
...
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first
line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.



  #3   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Suzanne S. Barnhill
 
Posts: n/a
Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

Put your picture in a paragraph that does not have a first-line indent.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JCM" wrote in message
...
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first

line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JCM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

No I can't, I've got loads of them. I'd have to scrap all the text!
Are you suggesting there is no other way?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Put your picture in a paragraph that does not have a first-line indent.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JCM" wrote in message
...
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first

line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.



  #5   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JCM
 
Posts: n/a
Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

Thank you. The pictures are Inline and I have to indent the first line
because that is how one does it in a book. Are you suggesting there is no
other way.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Judging from the questions you're asking, you may want to format your
pictures as Inline with text.
It also sounds, in this question, like you've got indents on your
paragraphs. I would create a style for my graphics and NOT indent the
paragraph.
http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...oft_word.ht m
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JCM" wrote in message
...
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first
line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.






  #6   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne Troy
 
Posts: n/a
Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

JCM: I suspect you're not "hearing" us. Create a style for your graphics.
This is the EASIEST way and painless!
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...osoft_word.htm
Call it "graphic". Make sure that style has 0" left and right indent on the
paragraph, etc. (I also like to put 12 pts before and after, and I like to
use keep with next so my graphic sticks with the caption that follows it).
Then, click the first graphic and apply the style to it. Then, click each
graphic and hit F4 (repeats the last command, in this case applying the
style "graphic" to your graphic). Even if there's 100 graphics in your file,
it should only take a few minutes to do it. Otherwise, you'll need to get a
macro to do it, and that'd probably take you another day of waiting.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JCM" wrote in message
...
No I can't, I've got loads of them. I'd have to scrap all the text!
Are you suggesting there is no other way?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Put your picture in a paragraph that does not have a first-line indent.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"JCM" wrote in message
...
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the
first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first

line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the
indented
lines.





  #7   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jack
 
Posts: n/a
Default Centre a picture when first line of para is indented

Paragraph indention does depend on the book.

You can format the pictures with an absolute location. That would involve
editing the format of every picture in your document and it sounds like you
have lots of them. This can get time consuming.

If you always have the pictures in their own paragraph, which I'm assuming
you do, then Anne's suggestion of a separate style for these paragraphs is
the best option. Your text paragraphs will continue to use the style you have
them in (probably the normal style) and they will continue to first indent as
your book layout requires.

In the styles pane or dialog box (depending on your version of Word), add a
new style. Give it a descriptive name like "Graphic" or "Image."

Apply this style to the paragraph with the first image in your document.
Adjust the paragraph formating until you get the image where you need. I
recommend No special indent and Center justification.

When the picture is where you like it, there is an option with your styles
(it is different between having the Styles Pane and not.) that allows you to
update the style definition with the formatting of the current paragraph.

Once that is done, go to all of the paragraphs with the pictures and apply
the new style to them.

Later if you change your mind about the formatting for this paragraph (say
you want to add 12 pt leading after the paragraph), you make the change to
the style and all of the paragraphs with this style are automatically updated.
--
Jack Rumple


"JCM" wrote:

Thank you. The pictures are Inline and I have to indent the first line
because that is how one does it in a book. Are you suggesting there is no
other way.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Judging from the questions you're asking, you may want to format your
pictures as Inline with text.
It also sounds, in this question, like you've got indents on your
paragraphs. I would create a style for my graphics and NOT indent the
paragraph.
http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...oft_word.ht m
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JCM" wrote in message
...
I am working with justified text. How do I centre a picture when the first
line of the paragraphs are indented. They will only centre to the first
line.
I have tried to move the anchors but they will only adhere to the indented
lines.




Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
double window envelope tpdebronsky Page Layout 5 May 18th 23 08:51 PM
Bullets/numbers will not indent after first line Greg Microsoft Word Help 2 August 9th 05 12:43 AM
Indented paragraphs - full justification, but not last line. Judee Microsoft Word Help 6 June 9th 05 11:00 AM
How disable auto capitalizing on first word of indented line? [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 March 12th 05 02:11 AM
First line of every page is indented ambrose Microsoft Word Help 2 February 4th 05 12:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Word"