Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Valerie

Default endnotes

I have been asked to submit a book in the following format: separate files
for each chapter and an additional separate file for all the endnotes with
the endnote numbering restarting for each related chapter (as they are in the
chapters themselves). I am not able to cut and paste the endnotes from the
chapters to a new file. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

Assuming that you are all done editing, you can convert the endnotes to text
with a macro and then cut and paste them as you like. **Make sure you do
this on a COPY,** as it's undoable and Word will no longer update the note
numbers for you after doing this.

For your particular variation, it may be easier to separate each chapter
into a file, and then run the macro on a COPY of each file. I'm not sure
the macro as it is given accounts for restarting numbering, if you do it all
in one file.

For the macro, see this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ement/browse_f
rm/thread/a60669f0936214e0/205fdab76e4e48eb
[line wrap may break URL]

Note that what shows up as the 3rd/4th line of the macro code should be all
on one line.

If you don't know how to use macros, see this link:

What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me
out?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You can use the following macro to convert the end notes to text which you
can then cut and paste into the separate document:

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with textnotes
at end of document

' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a
superscript number.

'

Dim aendnote As Endnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index & vbTab &
aendnote.Range

aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"

Next aendnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

aendnote.Reference.Delete

Next aendnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP