Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Enforcer{EMC}

Default updating Multiple references to automatic numbered figures

hi all
I am doing a Phd the subject of which is "Advanced electric guitar
technique" Much of my thesis contains musical exercises i. Anyway my
problem Im hoping someone can help me with is this;

Inserting a number using the field tab allows the number to change
automatically if I add a musical exercise to the text out of sequence (for
example I realize that a more in-depth break down of a musical exercise
resulting in a number of new figures being added). Obviously all the
subsequent numbers will change. However, if I have referred to them
elsewhere in the text by figure number, that reference number remains
unchanged.

How do I get those numbers to update automatically as well? At the moment
I have to go through the whole text and all the figures and change them
manually every time I make an addition it is very time consuming with 100s of
references.

Am I correctly doing this? Does anyone have any suggestions? Any guidance
would be appreciated.

I know there is multiple reference to 1 foot note/end note explained thought
the forum but not this

Kind regards
Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

There are several methods. It will be worth your while to spend a bit of
time experimenting a) so you're comfortably with what's going on, and b) to
find the method that works best for what you're actually doing. (I'm not
sure what you mean by 'using the field tab').

Simplest is probably to use PAGEREF fields, such as are inserted using
Insert Reference Cross-reference. As you'll see on the Cross-Reference
dialog, you can specify that you want to reference the item number, rather
than the attached text.

Another method is to bookmark the destination, then use a REF field. The
PageRef method is essentially an automated equivalent. If you
cross-reference something, Word inserts a bookmark automatically. Check the
'Hidden bookmarks' on the Bookmarks dialog to see them.

"Enforcer{EMC}" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are using auto numbering, then you can use Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference to insert a reference to the paragraph number of the
numbered item. Cross-references don't update automatically (instantly), but
they update on printing or when you select them (or the whole document) and
press F9.