Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Default Styles Question

For the second time since I started this particular Word document (Word
2002/Win2000) the name of a style I created has been changed suddenly. This
document contains questions and answers. I created a character style
called Answer-Label as a sort of heading for the actual answer below it in a
paragraph style called Answer. I have done this sort of thing for a long
time. A few minutes ago I noticed that the paragraph style Answer has been
changed to Answer Char. When the same thing happened last week I merely
renamed the errant style. This time when I tried to rename it back to
Answer I got an error message telling me that the style was already in use
(I cannot see any Answer style, only Answer Char) or is reserved for a
built-in style (The is not a built-in style; I created it). Any ideas?

It may be coincidental but a little while back (30 minutes ago) my document
seemed to become corrupted. No longer could Word Find (Ctrl+F) anything at
all. Words typed right there on the page were evidently invisible to Find.
Or maybe Find became blind. I did the usual thing of copyiing all but the
last few blank paragraphs iinto a new document and resuming my labors,
without apparent incident--until the unwanted Style change showed up.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Joe

Joe McGuire wrote:
For the second time since I started this particular Word document (Word
2002/Win2000) the name of a style I created has been changed suddenly. This
document contains questions and answers. I created a character style
called Answer-Label as a sort of heading for the actual answer below it in a
paragraph style called Answer. I have done this sort of thing for a long
time. A few minutes ago I noticed that the paragraph style Answer has been
changed to Answer Char. When the same thing happened last week I merely
renamed the errant style. This time when I tried to rename it back to
Answer I got an error message telling me that the style was already in use
(I cannot see any Answer style, only Answer Char) or is reserved for a
built-in style (The is not a built-in style; I created it). Any ideas?

How to apply a style in Microsoft Word (by Shauna Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ApplyAStyle.html
[See the "Tip for Word 2002 and 2003"]

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...de=r&cus=False

Styles with the ending " Char" have driven many Word 2002 users half crazy!

Some considerations:

1. are you sure that "Answer-Label" is really a character style?

2. are you sure that you haven't applied "Answer" to only parts of a
paragraph? [That sort of thing is usually at the base of the char char
"bug".]

3. If your question is on a separate line, then is there a good reason
not to use two paragraph styles?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Styles and "keep track of formatting" cnidoginlv Microsoft Word Help 2 May 24th 06 11:22 PM
Styles Growing Deb Page Layout 12 April 5th 06 10:56 PM
Word 2003 Document Styles Driving Us Nutz BioDude Microsoft Word Help 1 March 17th 06 09:08 PM
Styles not formatting properly getravel Microsoft Word Help 5 March 14th 06 05:52 AM
A question of Styles elillis New Users 1 June 22nd 05 07:22 PM