Monica

Default Where has Page Setup gone? It is now grayed out in any new Word .

I have lost the Page Setup function. It now appears as grayed out when I
open a new Word document. This may be connected to my copying a Word
Document and pasting it into the originating folder where it opened as a
Scrap object. I am running Windows XP sp2 and Word 2003. Any suggestions,
please?
Doug Robbins

You problem will probably be overcome by following the steps in the article
"Why is my "Blank Document" not blank?" at:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Monica" wrote in message
I have lost the Page Setup function. It now appears as grayed out when I
open a new Word document. This may be connected to my copying a Word
Document and pasting it into the originating folder where it opened as a
Scrap object. I am running Windows XP sp2 and Word 2003. Any
suggestions,
please?

Monica

Monica wrote:
I have lost the Page Setup function. It now appears as grayed out when I
open a new Word document. This may be connected to my copying a Word
Document and pasting it into the originating folder where it opened as a
Scrap object. I am running Windows XP sp2 and Word 2003.

Many thanks for a swift response, Doug. I checked out and printed off your
suggested FAQ BlankDocNotBlank and I can now get new documents with Page
Setup functioning OK.

But there is still a puzzle with this one particular document which has lots
of fancy formatting and text and which needed to have its page setup altered.

I have found a couple of work arounds:
1) using the margin pointers plus header and footers;
2) using Edit, Copy and Paste into a new, blank Word document which does
have the Page Setup function activated (showing that Normal.dot is Ok).

But I am baffled as to why it does not appear possible simply to copy a
document without opening it from its folder, open the copy and edit that as
well as use Page Setup on it.

Regards, Monica
Doug Robbins

Sounds like the documents are protected for forms.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Monica wrote:
[...]

Monica

Thanks for the suggestion about forms but I've been mousing around and it
definitely is not that.
I think I have finally tracked the anomaly down to the behaviour of an .shs
file (kb 138275). These files are for the scrap objects created by drag and
drop and which have 0 inch margins.
They are not meant to be opened but to be inserted into other objects. I
think I must have accidentally dragged the original document I wanted to copy
into its folder then opened a New Word document into the scrap.
I just saw the Scrap icon for an eyeblink before it was replaced by the Word
icon and a file name extension of .doc. This is the sort of thing that must
drive developers crazy (as well as us users, of course).
I'm not feeling strong enough yet to try to do it on purpose.
Your input was really helpful. Although you could not provide an instant
solution your answers were a useful pointer. Many thanks, Monica.