kd1s

Default How do I save my AutoText file to transfer it to another PC?

It is ok to do this on Windows 2000 and up as every user has a separete
profile directory which contains the normal.dot file.

It's in Documents and Settings\{Username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

or you can put it in
Documents and Settings\{Username}\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup

So long as you don't create it in All Users you'll be ok.

Tony

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mdeleine wrote:
I should like to save and transfer my Auto text file to another PC
but cannot locate it. Please help . Thank you

AutoText is saved in templates (*.dot files). If you didn't specifically
change the Look In box in the Insert AutoText AutoText dialog, the
entries are all in the Normal.dot template. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/faqs/custom...n/AutoText.htm.

It usually isn't a good idea to copy Normal.dot from one computer to another
(the exception is that it's ok if you're the user of both PCs). The reason
is that Normal.dot carries a lot of the customizations, such as styles,
toolbars, and macros. Copying your template to someone else's PC would wipe
out their customizations.

Instead, make a new template (File New click the Template option
button). Then open the Organizer (Tools Templates & Add-Ins Organizer),
click the AutoText tab, and use that to copy your AutoText from Normal.dot
to the new template. Take the new template to the other PC, and use the
Organizer there to copy the AutoText to Normal.dot.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

What I was warning against is the impulse many people seem to have, to copy
their Normal.dot to other computers in the company in order to distribute
autotext or macros. When they overwrite the other users' personal Normal.dot
files, much more than just autotext and macros gets overwritten.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Mdeleine wrote:
[...]

Charles Kenyon

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Mdeleine" wrote in message
I should like to save and transfer my Auto text file to another PC but
cannot
locate it. Please help . Thank you

MervB

All this discussion seems to skirt around the problem that arrises when you
want to transport documents between numerous computers.

My problem is that a third party system automatically supplies a Doc (form)
to be completed by users and will only receive the same Doc back into the
system when completed - autotext is essential to this form (to show and hide
subforms and other elements) .

The users being from numerous clients and of varying skills in Word/Windows,
getting them to put a DOT onto their computers is out of the question.

I've been trying to find a work around including floating text boxes and
parent/children docs but constantly seem to be stumpped by the need to
transfer a DOT with the DOC - isn't there some way to embbed elements.

To me this is a major limitation in Word and, indeed, other components of MS
Office.

MervB
:-)

"Charles Kenyon" wrote