Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Default Make two columns of text behave as one

Is it possible in Word 2003 to make two columns of text behave as if they
were one (e.g., if you add text on the left the text on the right moves
down) without using a table?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure what you're describing. Do you want the text in the two columns
to be continuous? If so, you need to use newspaper-style columns (Format |
Columns).

"Steve" wrote in message
Is it possible in Word 2003 to make two columns of text behave as if they
were one (e.g., if you add text on the left the text on the right moves
down) without using a table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Use text columns. On the Format menu, click Columns, and then choose
the desired options.

You may also want to take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingColumns.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
Is it possible in Word 2003 to make two columns of text behave as if
they
were one (e.g., if you add text on the left the text on the right
moves down) without using a table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Suzanne,

Thanks for your comment.

What I am specifically not looking for are newspaper-style text columns. I
am trying to replicate the effect of having a continuous table of two columns
with text that may, or may not, alternate from one side to the other. If
that case if the text in one cell gets longer it pushes the bottom of that
cell down which is reflected in the same movement in the top of the next cell
in the opposite column. Although the effect I am looking for can be achieved
that way, I am trying to find out if it can be achieved whithout resorting to
a table.

"Steve" wrote in message
Is it possible in Word 2003 to make two columns of text behave as if they
were one (e.g., if you add text on the left the text on the right moves
down) without using a table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, I can't think of any way to do it efficiently without a table.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not sure what you're describing. Do you want the text in the two

columns
to be continuous? If so, you need to use newspaper-style columns (Format

Columns).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Steve" wrote in message
Is it possible in Word 2003 to make two columns of text behave as if

they
were one (e.g., if you add text on the left the text on the right

moves
down) without using a table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is there a specific reason why you want to avoid using a table?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP