Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
franklinbukoski franklinbukoski is offline

Default Page Header/Footer

I would like the exact same page header on every page, including page 1 and I
would like page numbers to begin displaying on page 2.

When I attempt to have page numbers display beginning from page 2, it
removes the header from page 1.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have the Different first page box checked under the Page Layout tab,
uncheck it and in the header/footer where you want the page number to
appear, insert the following field construction

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

You must use Ctrl + F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and Alt
+F9 to toggle off their display.

If you want the second page to be numbered as page 1, then use:

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { = { PAGE }- 1 ) }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"franklinbukoski" wrote in
message ...
I would like the exact same page header on every page, including page 1 and
would like page numbers to begin displaying on page 2.

When I attempt to have page numbers display beginning from page 2, it
removes the header from page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Frank

franklinbukoski wrote:
I would like the exact same page header on every page, including page 1 and I
would like page numbers to begin displaying on page 2.

If you show your page numbers on page 1, that means: the headers are not
quite exactly the same, then.

When I attempt to have page numbers display beginning from page 2, it
removes the header from page 1.

See Doug's answer.

The "tweaking" with what you display as a page number may have unwanted
side effects: if you intend to reference a page number through Word
(say, with a table of contents), this will show you what the PAGE field
shows w/o the subtraction.

So, if you _do_ reference the page numbers, I'd rather instruct Word to
start with "0" and either

- use the "Different First Page" setting and copy the header over, or
- test and show the page number only when it's 0 (with the same IF
field around the PAGE field.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

I tried inserting the fields you describe below into my footers. I hit ALT F9
to turn off the field codes and I got an error message..something about
codes, conditions, etc.
I hit CTRL F9 to insert field code brackets, typed 'IF', hit CTRL F9 again,
typed 'PAGE', etc. to copy your fields below.

Did I do something wrong? If so, how do I construct your field codes below
the correct way?

Also, I'm confused...I know { IF { PAGE } 1 { = { PAGE }- 1 ) } will make
the page #ing start on page 2.
But what does { IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } } do?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

I'm really sorry but I need some clarification.

First, am I creating the field code correctly by using CTRL F9 to create
field code brackets, typing 'IF', then using CTRL F9 to create more field
code brackets in order to type {PAGE}, etc?

I then need to clarify that:
{ IF { PAGE } 1 { = { PAGE }- 1 ) } = Starts #ing with 1 on the second page
{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } } = Starts #ing with 2 on the second page
Is that right?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes. But it shouldn't be too difficult to create a dummy multipage document
and test this for yourself instead of asking me.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Doug's field starts numbering with 2 on the second page, leaving the

first
page blank. Your field starts with 1 on the second page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you have the Different first page box checked under the Page

Layout
tab,
uncheck it and in the header/footer where you want the page number

appear, insert the following field construction

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { PAGE } }

You must use Ctrl + F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { }

and
Alt
+F9 to toggle off their display.

If you want the second page to be numbered as page 1, then use:

{ IF { PAGE } 1 { = { PAGE }- 1 ) }

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"franklinbukoski" wrote

in
message ...
I would like the exact same page header on every page, including

page 1
and
would like page numbers to begin displaying on page 2.

When I attempt to have page numbers display beginning from page 2,

it
removes the header from page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Studebaker Studebaker is offline

I got an error message when I tried it which prompted my initial question to
the forum. I'll try again.