Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pdfernan pdfernan is offline

Default Help! Slow Word & PP Slow: New Comp

I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1405 with 1 gig of ram and a 1.73Ghz
processor. It is my first computer with Windows Vista. It runs perfectly fine
most of the time, but the main reason we purchased it was for my fiancée to
do her translation work.

Unfortunately Microsoft Word and Powerpoint both run extremely slow! They
load fine, and work alright for a little bit, but after a few minutes they
both begin to have horrible lag so that it is nearly imposable to type and
have the words appear in real time. This could happen in other programs, but
we do not use anything else besides the internet enough to notice.

I have worked with the Dell technical help and they have been unable to
resolve the problem, spending most of their time deleting unnecessary
programs to help speed up the computer, but it has not made a difference in
this problem.

I have also re-installed Microsoft Office, downloaded all of Dell's and
Vista's patches etc... to no avial.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been assured many times that my specifications
should be sufficient to run Word, but i am beginning to doubt it. I don't
really know much about Vista or how much memory it requires.