Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
simon simon is offline

Default delete empty paragraphs without picking up formats of following para/section?

Folks,

How can I use find/replace to delete extra empty paragraphs in my doc
without messing up headings and other formats of following para/sections?

tx, Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
simon simon is offline

I was thinking more along the lines of find [^13]{2,100} replace with ^13^13
but either method still seems to encounter the
formatting-of-following-section issue. The other technique I've used is to
hide text (by modifying the style font proerties) that may interfere with
the find/replace but it seems you have to turn off Show All formatting.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Find ^p^p, replace with ^p

"simon" wrote in message
Folks,

How can I use find/replace to delete extra empty paragraphs in my doc
without messing up headings and other formats of following para/sections?

tx, Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Replacing paragraphs with ^13 is your problem: in the replace string, ^13
and ^p are not the same. This is a classic Word gotcha. ^13 in the replace
string inserts a pilcrow character and a line break, which looks exactly as
if you had inserted a paragraph break; but it's not. These are characters
*within* the paragraph. If you select the entire paragraph, you'll see it
spans all the pilcrow characters you inserted in this fashion. So the
replacement you are using is turning your document into one big paragraph --
and it thus inherits all the formatting of the final paragraph.

"simon" wrote in message
I was thinking more along the lines of find [^13]{2,100} replace with
^13^13 but either method still seems to encounter the
formatting-of-following-section issue. The other technique I've used is to
hide text (by modifying the style font proerties) that may interfere with
the find/replace but it seems you have to turn off Show All formatting.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Find ^p^p, replace with ^p

"simon" wrote in message
Folks,

How can I use find/replace to delete extra empty paragraphs in my doc
without messing up headings and other formats of following
para/sections?

tx, Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Turn on "Use wildcards". Find (^13)^13{1,} and replace with \1 .
That will preserve any style or formatting that's applied to the first
paragraph mark. Also note that you don't need to supply a maximum
number of repetitions in the braces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:40:37 -0800, "simon" wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of find [^13]{2,100} replace with ^13^13
but either method still seems to encounter the
formatting-of-following-section issue. The other technique I've used is to
hide text (by modifying the style font proerties) that may interfere with
the find/replace but it seems you have to turn off Show All formatting.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Find ^p^p, replace with ^p

"simon" wrote in message
Folks,

How can I use find/replace to delete extra empty paragraphs in my doc
without messing up headings and other formats of following para/sections?

tx, Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
simon simon is offline

Awesome trick Jay. I used (^13{2})^13{1,} because I wanted to preserve one
line between paragraphs. Thanks for heads up about not needing a max in the
braces.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Turn on "Use wildcards". Find (^13)^13{1,} and replace with \1 .
That will preserve any style or formatting that's applied to the first
paragraph mark. Also note that you don't need to supply a maximum
number of repetitions in the braces.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:40:37 -0800, "simon" wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of find [^13]{2,100} replace with
^13^13
but either method still seems to encounter the
formatting-of-following-section issue. The other technique I've used is
hide text (by modifying the style font proerties) that may interfere with
the find/replace but it seems you have to turn off Show All formatting.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Find ^p^p, replace with ^p

"simon" wrote in message
Folks,

How can I use find/replace to delete extra empty paragraphs in my doc
without messing up headings and other formats of following
para/sections?

tx, Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

simon wrote:
[...]

Show All formatting. s

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Find ^p^p, replace with ^p

"simon" wrote in message
Folks,

How can I use find/replace to delete extra empty paragraphs in my
doc without messing up headings and other formats of following
para/sections?

tx, Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
simon simon is offline

Graham - tx for the ref to the updated tutorial

simon wrote:
[...]

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Find ^p^p, replace with ^p