Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JH JH is offline

Default How do I update hyperlinks to the converted docx files?

Just converted to Word 2007 this morning.
I use many hyperlinks to supporting documents.
I plan to update all my documents to .docx but all my hyperlinks are to the
old .doc versions
Any way to automate this without editing every hyperlink to refer to the new
..docx version of the file?

Also, when saving a file to docx, is there anyway to automatically delete
the old .doc version?

Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

JH wrote:
Just converted to Word 2007 this morning.
I use many hyperlinks to supporting documents.
I plan to update all my documents to .docx but all my hyperlinks are
to the old .doc versions
Any way to automate this without editing every hyperlink to refer to
the new .docx version of the file?

Also, when saving a file to docx, is there anyway to automatically
delete the old .doc version?

Thanks so much.

To change the targets of the hyperlinks, first display all field codes by
pressing Alt+F9. Then use the Replace function with

Find What = .doc"
Replace With = .docx"

and click Replace All. Press Alt+F9 again to collapse the codes, press
Ctrl+A to select everything, and press F9 to update fields. Note that if the
extension is also part of the display text, that won't be changed by this
procedure.

If you open a .doc file in Word 2007 (which opens it in Compatibility Mode)
and click Office button Convert, when you save and close the resulting
..docx it will replace the original .doc.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman