Grace L. Judson

Default Toolbar behaviour and look changed

I'm thinking this may be a template problem, but before I blow away my
customized NORMAL.DOT template and replace it with the standard one, I'd
like to get this group's opinion!

Recently, the toolbars changed slightly. The ones I can specifically
identify a

1. The Tables tool options changed, and no longer include "Draw Table."
2. When I click the hot-keys for Table (alt-A), the Table entry on the
toolbar becomes highlighted, but the menu doesn't drop down. All the other
menus do drop down, but for the Table menu I have to also hit the down-arrow
to get the menu to drop.

This is annoying me severely (!), and is not how things are spoze to work!

Any ideas? I haven't installed anything that I can think of that should
have changed these behaviours!

Thank you!

Shauna Kelly

Hi Grace

First problem: Do Tools Customize. On the Options tab, you can choose
whether to show full menus. The alternative is what is known as "adaptive
menus". If Adaptive Menus is in use, menu items you have not used recently
won't show up until you mouse over the "Expand" button at the bottom of each
toolbar. I find that infuriating, so I always tick the box to tell Word to
show me all the menu items all the time.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try reinstating the Table Draw command to
the Table menu. To do that, do Tools Customize. On the Commands tab, in
the Categories list, choose Table. In the Commands list, find Draw Table and
drag it to your Table menu.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then do Tools Customize. On the
Toolbars tab, click the Menu Bar entry and click Reset. This will reset the
menu bar to its original state. If you have made customizations to the Menu
Bar itself, they'll be lost unless you first create your own toolbar and
move your customizations to it.

Finally, there's further information at
My menus and toolbars are missing and won't come back
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm

Second problem: Try doing Alt-A, and then do Alt-A again. It's possible that
somewhere on your screen is another toolbar with another button which also
has A as its shortcut key. And Word just toggles between the two until you
make a choice. So you may need to get rid of the other toolbar, or its
button. Or, use Tools Customize to change the other toolbar button's
shortcut key.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word