Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Santa-D Santa-D is offline

Default Mail Merge from Excel data source

Is there a way to run merge records from Excel which groups certain
records together.
I have a report which is exported from a finance system and I want to
have a generic template which I can merge outstanding invoices.

One site in this report may have 10 outstanding invoices but currently
I've been unable to figure out how to "group" the records together.

A sample:

Line No. | Invoice No. | Date | Description | Cost Centre | Invoice Amt
| Payment Amt | Balance | Attention | Email
1 | 100 | 1/01/01 | John Doe | 001030 | 345 | 0 | 345 | Jane Doe |
ess

....and so forth.

The current report is 207 lines long and one person could have 2
records and some could have 30 records.

Is there a way to group records via Name or Email address for merge?
What I want to achieve is each outstanding invoice record for Jane Doe
is listed in a table in word and I can't remember how I did (it's been
a few years).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is not something that Word's merge is designed to do, and to force it
to do so is complex - see How to use mail merge to create a list sorted by
category in Word 2002 - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294686

Santa-D wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Santa-D Santa-D is offline

I had been trying that out yesterday and the results came out different
than what's displayed on their sample.
The MS example (which is what I used to see if I can get it to work)
stated this:

The fields laid out in this example produce a sorted list as follows:
Atlanta

Galos $3,000
Delaney $50,000
Henningsen $10,000

Houston

Johnson $8,000
Kelly $9,000
Pak $0

Except, I had every line on a seperate page (and I didn't use the
pagebreak option)
I'm using Word 2003.

It's not as if we could use Word as a front end and run a query on the
excel data?

While KEY1 = PRIMARY.KEY then
return data that relates to PRIMARY.KEY in table
End While

Graham Mayor wrote:
This is not something that Word's merge is designed to do, and to force it
to do so is complex - see How to use mail merge to create a list sorted by
category in Word 2002 - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294686

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Santa-D Santa-D is offline

Did you set the document type to Directory?

Certainly did and it worked as hoped but as soon as I tried to include
the records in a table, it didn't work.
I couldn't have records split into rows.

If I emailed the documents across would that give you a better
understanding?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Santa-D Santa-D is offline

I found something a bit different, doesn't use word but uses excel and
it does the job.
It's rather interesting how it works and it does the job.

http://ukww.net/patools/excel/am.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Santa-D Santa-D is offline

I also came across this.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.10).aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Santa-D Santa-D is offline

I came across another site that explains it in simple terms.

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

I don't think these can be emailed.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Santa-D Santa-D is offline

I've also discovered that I can not put the fields a table otherwise it
won't expand the list. It will be restricted to the one row or as many
rows as included in the table.