Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LW LW is offline

Default syntax errors

I am trying to put a formula into the page x of y field in my footer. Word
help tells which formula to use, but I get a syntax error every time and
every way I use it.

I am starting my pagination with a number other than one and need the y
value to calculate from that point forward.

the formula I'm using is { = (45 -1) + { NUMPAGES } } as stated to use by
Microsoft. The syntax error I get is !Syntax Error, {

I have tried all manner of spacing and even tried using the SUM formula
method with values separated with a comma.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As Harvey indicates you have typed the second set of {} brackets from the
keyboard. You must either insert the Numpages field or use CTRL+F9 for the
brackets, then update the field (F9).
And why use 45-1? What's wrong with 44?

LW wrote:
I am trying to put a formula into the page x of y field in my footer.
Word help tells which formula to use, but I get a syntax error every
time and every way I use it.

I am starting my pagination with a number other than one and need the
y value to calculate from that point forward.

the formula I'm using is { = (45 -1) + { NUMPAGES } } as stated to
use by Microsoft. The syntax error I get is !Syntax Error, {

I have tried all manner of spacing and even tried using the SUM
formula method with values separated with a comma.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Harvey Harvey is offline

If you use (44) it won't work properly and it will show (44)! I couldn't
figure out the reaon of this special formatting but that's the way it is!

LW wrote:
I am trying to put a formula into the page x of y field in my footer.
Word help tells which formula to use, but I get a syntax error every
time and every way I use it.

I am starting my pagination with a number other than one and need the
y value to calculate from that point forward.

the formula I'm using is { = (45 -1) + { NUMPAGES } } as stated to
use by Microsoft. The syntax error I get is !Syntax Error, {

I have tried all manner of spacing and even tried using the SUM
formula method with values separated with a comma.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi Harvey,

If I use (44) + { NUMPAGES } and NUMPAGES = 1, I get (43).

In some systems, negative numbers are represented by numbers in parentheses.

Looks like Word recognises (44) as being the same as -44.

So, (44) + 1 = -44 + 1 = -43 = (43)

But if expressions are involved, Word seems to use the parentheses for
grouping.

E.g. { = 3 * 4 - 1 } = 12 - 1 = 11
and { = 3 * (4 - 1) } = 3 * 3 = 9

Cheers.

Ed

LW wrote:
I am trying to put a formula into the page x of y field in my footer.
Word help tells which formula to use, but I get a syntax error every
time and every way I use it.

I am starting my pagination with a number other than one and need the
y value to calculate from that point forward.

the formula I'm using is { = (45 -1) + { NUMPAGES } } as stated to
use by Microsoft. The syntax error I get is !Syntax Error, {

I have tried all manner of spacing and even tried using the SUM
formula method with values separated with a comma.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

So don't put the 44 in brackets

{ = 44 + { NUMPAGES } }

LW wrote:
I am trying to put a formula into the page x of y field in my
footer. Word help tells which formula to use, but I get a syntax
error every time and every way I use it.

I am starting my pagination with a number other than one and need
the y value to calculate from that point forward.

the formula I'm using is { = (45 -1) + { NUMPAGES } } as stated to
use by Microsoft. The syntax error I get is !Syntax Error, {

I have tried all manner of spacing and even tried using the SUM
formula method with values separated with a comma.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Find syntax for /*..........*/ ? Tadwick Microsoft Word Help 2 December 1st 06 04:31 AM
Formula - Syntax Error ArchieDog via OfficeKB.com Tables 2 June 8th 06 06:59 AM
Mailmerge calculations syntax Oly Mailmerge 1 February 16th 06 05:07 PM
If Formula syntax error BigPig Tables 5 February 3rd 06 05:52 PM
Macro Syntax GregR New Users 2 May 2nd 05 06:43 PM