BillyOHill

Default Word is th3 P00TS!!!!! OMFFG!!!!

I just want to take a moment to rant about Word. It is positively THE WORSTE
word processing system I have ever used. Period. I would prefer Word Perfect
5 in Dos 3.1 over Word XP. Or vim/ispell/latex, for that matter.

Try puting a picture into a document and then moving it around.

Even better, take a very long document, maybe 20 pages, and put 5 or 6
pictures in. Move one of them the wrong way... BOOM! Hurry and press ctrl-z.
Whew! it wasn't permanent... or was it?

Incomprehensible interface quirks. Bugs to boot. Security vulnerabilities.
Corn-hole paperclip dude. Priced like it's top of the line.

Today I spent 4 hours at work fighting the following bug:
I insert a drawing canvas so I can have pictures and arrows and text in one
cohesive mess. I insert a picture. Then I insert a text box... and wait...
and wait... Word is frozen! Click on the red X... "The program is not
responding..." It's dead.

One time I had to go for the power button.

There are small number of MS products I might say good things about (Excel,
Windows 2000 are the only two).

MS Word is that fresh little dog turd that gets tracked into your living
room and I feel sorry for all the suckers MS is screwing with it, at the
moment the company I work for. What a bunch of hot, slimy green excrement!

My best advice to new Word users:
1) ask for your money back,
2) cry, because Bill will never in a million years return a dime of his ill
gotten gains,
3) tell Bill the product is defective and he under legal obligation to
refund it,
4) pound your fists on your pillow because there is no justice,
5) download OpenOffice.org, or go buy Corell or something else that works.
Jezebel

My best advice to new Word users:
1) ask for your money back,
2) cry, because Bill will never in a million years return a dime of his
ill
gotten gains,
3) tell Bill the product is defective and he under legal obligation to
refund it,
4) pound your fists on your pillow because there is no justice,
5) download OpenOffice.org, or go buy Corell or something else that works.

Alternatively, you could just learn to use it. None of the problems you
describe is normally a problem. Still, always easier to blame the tool than
the worker.

Anne Troy

Yeah. When I first saw this post, I felt that the problem lies somewhere
between the chair and the keyboard. But I don't want to offend anyone
either. Billy: Perhaps some of the articles on my web will help you get
beyond some of your issues. Particularly Word troubleshooting, and Drawing
Tools in MS Office under the Miscellaneous area.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jezebel" wrote in message

My best advice to new Word users:
1) ask for your money back,
2) cry, because Bill will never in a million years return a dime of his
ill
gotten gains,
3) tell Bill the product is defective and he under legal obligation to
refund it,
4) pound your fists on your pillow because there is no justice,
5) download OpenOffice.org, or go buy Corell or something else that
works.

Alternatively, you could just learn to use it. None of the problems you
describe is normally a problem. Still, always easier to blame the tool
than the worker.

Amedee Van Gasse

In , Jezebel told us an
interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this
message.

My best advice to new Word users:
1) ask for your money back,
2) cry, because Bill will never in a million years return a dime of
his ill gotten gains,
3) tell Bill the product is defective and he under legal obligation
to refund it,
4) pound your fists on your pillow because there is no justice,
5) download OpenOffice.org, or go buy Corell or something else that
works.

Alternatively, you could just learn to use it. None of the problems
you describe is normally a problem. Still, always easier to blame the
tool than the worker.

Wellll... IMHO this:

I insert a drawing canvas so I can have pictures and arrows and text
in one cohesive mess. I insert a picture. Then I insert a text box...
and wait... and wait... Word is frozen! Click on the red X... "The
program is not responding..." It's dead.

is not normal. I really can't attribute this to PEBKAC. But then again:
AHS, ASS (BSSMTO)

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Amedee Van Gasse

In , Jezebel told us an
interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this
message.

And when you crash your car into a tree, do you blame the tree?

When I lost control of the car due to intoxication or excessive speed,
I blame myself. When it is a mechanical problem and its an old car, I
also blame myself: I should have done better maintenance. When it is a
mechanical problem in a new car, I blame the manufacturer.

In this case the OP has a problem with WordXP, which is a relatively
new car. The unknown factor here is his mileage.

Anyway, any Bulletproof Software Shall Not Crash Or Give Error
Messages, No Matter What The User Does.
I'm not saying Word is Bad, I'm just saying it isn't mature yet. Just
like 99,9% of all software. In short: All Hardware Sucks, All Software
Sucks (but some...)

Just my 0,02 ¤.

--
Amedee Van Gasse
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Billy,

Which version of Word are you fighting with?

FWIW, 20 pages isn't a very long document...

From the sound of it, I'd say you're fighting with damaged file structures.
Perhaps with a system that was upgraded from Word 97 or 2000?

You might try renaming your Normal.dot template, then starting Word up and
seeing if you can create that Drawing Canvas graphic in the new document that
appears.

Try puting a picture into a document and then moving it around.

Even better, take a very long document, maybe 20 pages, and put 5 or 6
pictures in. Move one of them the wrong way... BOOM! Hurry and press ctrl-z.
Whew! it wasn't permanent... or was it?

Incomprehensible interface quirks. Bugs to boot. Security vulnerabilities.
Corn-hole paperclip dude. Priced like it's top of the line.

Today I spent 4 hours at work fighting the following bug:
I insert a drawing canvas so I can have pictures and arrows and text in one
cohesive mess. I insert a picture. Then I insert a text box... and wait...
and wait... Word is frozen! Click on the red X... "The program is not
responding..." It's dead.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org