Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tayo Tayo is offline

Default Importing entries from Excel into Word

I have a set of entries in Excel spreadsheet. I have created a table (7 rows
by 6 cols) in Word. How can I import each of the entries from the Excel
worksheet into each of the cells in my table in Word. I want to generate
this automatically. Please can anybody help me?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi, Tayo. I usually find it easier to copy in Excel and paste into Word,
then format the table, instead of trying to put specific values in a
preformatted table. If this would work for you, then you could try
selecting your Excel range and copying, go into Word and start the macro
recorder, then paste and format the table. Stop the recorder when you're
done, and you'll have saved all of that for the next time.

Ed

"Tayo" wrote in message
I have a set of entries in Excel spreadsheet. I have created a table (7
rows
by 6 cols) in Word. How can I import each of the entries from the Excel
worksheet into each of the cells in my table in Word. I want to generate
this automatically. Please can anybody help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tayo Tayo is offline

Hi Ed, Thanks for your response.

Are you saying I need to start the macro recoder and do the process manually
once then subsequent ones will be automated?

If this is the case, please can you explain to me the step by step process
of using a macro.

Once again, thanks for your response.

Tayo.

"Tayo" wrote in message
I have a set of entries in Excel spreadsheet. I have created a table (7
rows
by 6 cols) in Word. How can I import each of the entries from the Excel
worksheet into each of the cells in my table in Word. I want to generate
this automatically. Please can anybody help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

First, press F1, type "macro" in the keyword box and click "Search". Then
read the Word Help topics on:
About macros
Create a macro
Run a macro

If you need more info, go he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/index.htm

After that, this will make much more sense:
Are you saying I need to start the macro recoder and do the process
manually
once then subsequent ones will be automated?

The sequence of steps - menu commands, keystrokes, mouse clicks, etc - that
you perform while the macro recorder is on are saved. Any time you call up
that macro and run it, those same steps will be performed again. Because
the steps will be performed again in the exact same order, doing the exact
same thing, and looking for the exact same "stuff" ("objects", in macro
language) to work on, you must have the same conditions when you run the
macro.

I suggested that you open your Excel workbook and copy the range of cells
that you want in Word, then open your Word document and find then place you
want them to be inserted. THEN start the recorder. Your first command,
then, would be Paste. If you do this, then whenever you ran the macro, the
first command would Paste whatever is on the Clipboard (whatever you Copied
last). If the Clipboard is blank, you'll get an error. If it was a picture
or text and your next command is a table formatting command, then the macro
will error.

I suggest you walk slowly through this first WITHOUT recording, and write
down every command you use. Make any adjustments you need - did you do
something out of turn? or do something and then have to re-do it? If you
record it, the macro will do it.

After you record it, try it. The recorder isn't the most efficient way to
write a macro, although it works for most small macros. Don't be surprised
if it gives you an error and doesn't work. Click "Debug" on the dialog box
that comes up, note which line is highlighted in yellow (as you can tell,
I've been down this road _many_ times before!!), and then copy the entire
macro code and post back here in this thread. We can help you refine it.

Ed