Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hylandcpa

Default How do I format New Document in Word 2003?(PageSetup graydout)

Using recently uprgade Word 2003 from Word XP,
New Documents cannot be reformatted from default template.
Because Page Setup under file menu is grayed out-nonfunctioning.
(Existing documents created with Word XP don't have this problem)
How do I restore this functionality?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Since it works with some documents, there is most likely a problem
with the default template. See the section titled "Creating a new
Normal.dot from scratch" in the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...cNotBlank.htm; it will give
you step-by-step instructions on how to rename your normal.dot file
and have Word create a new one for you.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hylandcpa" wrote in message
Using recently uprgade Word 2003 from Word XP,
New Documents cannot be reformatted from default template.
Because Page Setup under file menu is grayed out-nonfunctioning.
(Existing documents created with Word XP don't have this problem)
How do I restore this functionality?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hylandcpa

Thanks, it looks like the template was bad, however I'm still stuck-
I deleted normal.dot,
Opened Word, which did create a new (unformatted) default template.
(page Setup now working)
I closed Word then "found" Normal.dot and "Opened with" Word 2003.
It created a "Document 1" which I reformatted to my desires with tabs, etc.

But "Document 1" could NOT be "Saved As" "Normal.dot."
Err mesg say cannot have two files with same name.
What else do I need to do?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Since it works with some documents, there is most likely a problem
with the default template. See the section titled "Creating a new
Normal.dot from scratch" in the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...cNotBlank.htm; it will give
you step-by-step instructions on how to rename your normal.dot file
and have Word create a new one for you.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I refer you again to
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...ocNotBlank.htm. If you
had really opened Normal.dot, you would not have gotten Document1; you would
have gotten Normal.dot. You *cannot* save a document as Normal.dot; only
Word can create a Normal.dot. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Since it works with some documents, there is most likely a problem
with the default template. See the section titled "Creating a new
Normal.dot from scratch" in the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...cNotBlank.htm; it will give
you step-by-step instructions on how to rename your normal.dot file
and have Word create a new one for you.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hylandcpa

Default Recreating Normal.dot not as instructed.

The "Open with" of Normal.dot, from Windows Explorer,
in my installation of Word 2003 DOES create "Document 1" every time.
It DOES NOT open Normal.dot.

However, I opened Word 2003, closed "Document 1",
then opened files, from Word 2003 drop down menu,
drilled down to location of "Normal.dot"
and, using this route sucessfully opened "Normal.dot",
which I formatted as desired and "Saved As" Normal.dot.

Perhaps the link you refered to needs to be updated, or,
is something wierd in my instalation?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Since it works with some documents, there is most likely a problem
with the default template. See the section titled "Creating a new
Normal.dot from scratch" in the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...cNotBlank.htm; it will give
you step-by-step instructions on how to rename your normal.dot file
and have Word create a new one for you.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The default action for .dot files is New, which will create a new Document1.
I would expect that "Open With" would literally perform the Open command,
but it would appear that what it really means is "Use X application to
perform the default operation on this file."

If Open is not one of the options for Normal.dot on your right-click menu in
Windows Explorer, then you need to reregister Word (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I refer you again to
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...ocNotBlank.htm. If you
had really opened Normal.dot, you would not have gotten Document1; you

would
have gotten Normal.dot. You *cannot* save a document as Normal.dot; only
Word can create a Normal.dot. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.