Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allewyn

Default Outline toolbar

Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

No, since the Outlining toolbar is context sensitive, it can't be
forced to display in any other view than Outline view.

However, you can create a custom toolbar and add the buttons that you
need, and use it instead of the built-in Outlining toolbar. Note that
if you want to put all of the buttons from the Outlining toolbar on
your custom toolbar, you'll find that some of them are greyed out when
you are not in Outline view.

If you want to disable the Outlining toolbar, you can do the
following:

1. Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor.

2. Press Ctrl+G to display the Immediate Window.

3. Type

CommandBars("Outlining").Enabled = False

and press Enter.

If you later want to enable the Outlining toolbar, just repeat the
above steps, with = True instead of = False.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Allewyn" wrote in message
Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Hmmm. The line
CommandBars("Outlining").Visible = True
in an autonew macro will force the toolbar on for new documents?

"Allewyn" wrote in message
Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

When I tested this it generated an error message, if not in Outline
view. My understanding is that although you can use the Enabled
property and the Visible property to hide built-in toolbars, you
cannot force them to display, if they are context sensitive (which the
Outlining toolbar is). (I haven't tested in the most recent version of
Word, though.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Allewyn" wrote in message
Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline

Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

It certainly works in Word 2003, however it displays a subset of the
commands shown in Outline view

"Allewyn" wrote in message
Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allewyn

CommandBars("Outlining").Enabled = true
Ok, I got the Sub or Function not defined error too. Does the thing need a
semicolon following true or something. I'll be patient and wiat for the
testing

"Allewyn" wrote in message
Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline

Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you are using this as suggsted by Stefan then it should have been 'false'
unless you are bringing it back after dismissing it.
If you are using it as suggested by me in an autonew macro then it is not
..Enabled but .Visible that is true.
See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

"Allewyn" wrote in message
Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline
Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allewyn

Hey, no prob; I couldn't make any of this work so I just dragged the
outlining symbols to the menu bar, where they are always visible.
I appreciate what all tried to do for me!

"Allewyn" wrote in message
Is there a way to force Word to always display the Outline
Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

"Allewyn" wrote in message
news
CommandBars("Outlining").Enabled = true
Ok, I got the Sub or Function not defined error too.

The error I saw in Word 200 was "Method 'Visible' of object
'CommandBar' failed"; the message is because Word 2000 doesn't allow
you to set the Visible property to TRUE (you can set it to FALSE,
though). Apparently, this limitation has been removed for Word 2003,
where Outlining is also on the ViewToolbars list even if you are not
in Outline view.

I don't know what caused the error message you were seeing. Are you
sure you typed the commands in correctly? If you press Debug in the
message box you'll see where execution stopped.

Does the thing
need a
semicolon following true or something.

Semicolons are not required in VBA.

I'll be patient and wiat for
the
testing

The testing was for my own peace of mind. :-)
I didn't expect to find any new information. Graham is a lot more
knowledgeable on VBA than I am.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP