SAn

Default Wrong numbers in numbered lists

I have many numbered lists in a Word document.
When I save the document and then open it subsequent numbered lists pick up
numbering from the end of the previous lists.
I need to select "start numbering from beginning" in menu for all lists to
correct this.
It is very hard to find and correct each list: I spend 30 minutes correcting
lists each time I want to print the document. I have this problem with
different documents in different versions of MS Word (now I use MS Office
2003 SP1).

I tried to search internet for my problem and I found many pages like this:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/148076.html

This is common problem. What should I do to fix it?
Stefan Blom

Apply a numbered style, such as one from the built-in List Number
series, to all of your numbered paragraphs, and then use one of the
techniques described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm to restart
numbering as needed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SAn" wrote in message
I have many numbered lists in a Word document.
When I save the document and then open it subsequent numbered lists

pick up
numbering from the end of the previous lists.
I need to select "start numbering from beginning" in menu for all

lists to
correct this.
It is very hard to find and correct each list: I spend 30 minutes

correcting
lists each time I want to print the document. I have this problem with
different documents in different versions of MS Word (now I use MS

Office
2003 SP1).

I tried to search internet for my problem and I found many pages like

this:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/148076.html

This is common problem. What should I do to fix it?

SAn

OK. The last two restarting techniques described in your link are solving my
problem, but why the most obvious way of restarting list numeration ("restart
numbering" command) is not working? It works until I save and close document.
When I open document again the numbering is incorrect...
Stefan Blom

Well, the Restart Numbering command should work, with the limitations
described in the article. I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.
However, the fact that problem occurs when you close and reopen the
document suggests a *possible* reason, namely the "Automatically update
document styles" option in ToolsTemplates and Add-Ins. Clear this
option, if it is checked, and try again. But since you've found that the
other two methods work, why not use one of them?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SAn" wrote in message
OK. The last two restarting techniques described in your link are
solving my
problem, but why the most obvious way of restarting list numeration
("restart
numbering" command) is not working? It works until I save and close
document.
When I open document again the numbering is incorrect...

SAn

Thanks that you found a time for my problem.

I will tell you how to reproduce missnumbering.

1) Make an empty Word document based on the default template.
2) Type this text to it (without minuses):
--------------------------
This is subdocument.
First list:
One
Two
Three
Second list:
One
Two
Three
-------------------------

3) Create a new style named 'MyNumberedList' with single-leveled numbering.
I used predefined numbering template 1. 2. 3. ... for this style (to make
such a style press 'Format'-'Styles and Formatting'-'Create style' in the
sidebar. Then press 'Format' button in new window and 'Numbering' in menu.
Select numbering template and press OK. Enter style name and press OK)
4) Mark all 'One', 'Two' and 'Three' lines with this style and select
'Restart numbering' in right-mouse-button-menu for both 'One' lines in the
document. You will get something like this:
--------------------------
This is subdocument.
First list:
1. One
2. Two
3. Three
Second list:
1. One
2. Two
3. Three
-------------------------

5) Save this file as 'SubDocument.doc'.
6) Close file.
7) Make new file.
8) Type this text (without minuses):
-------------------------
This is main document.
One
Two
Three
-------------------------

9) Select View-Structure in the main menu
10) Make a new line after 'Three' and press 'Insert subdocument' button on
the 'Structure' toolbar. Select 'SubDocument.doc' and press 'open'.
11) Mark 'One', 'Two' and 'Three' words in main document with style
'MyNumberedList'.
12) Correct missnumbered lists with 'Restart numbering' command and save
document as 'MainDocument.doc'. You will get something like this:
-------------------------
This is main document.
1. One
2. Two
3. Three

This is subdocument.
First list:
1. One
2. Two
3. Three
Second list:
1. One
2. Two
3. Three
-------------------------

13) Close document and then open it.
14) Press 'Expand subdocuments' button on the 'structure' toolbar. You will
get:
-------------------------
This is main document.
1. One
2. Two
3. Three

This is subdocument.
First list:
1. One
2. Two
3. Three
Second list:
4. One
5. Two
6. Three
-------------------------

15) Enjoy. I suggest you try to correct missnumbered list (this will be the
last list) using 'restart numbering' command and see what is happening:
-------------------------
This is main document.
1. One
2. Two
3. Three

This is subdocument.
First list:
4. One
5. Two
6. Three
Second list:
1. One
2. Two
3. Three
-------------------------

Very strange, isn't it?
You can make some direct formatting in 'MainDocument.doc' and
'SubDocument.doc' to see that direct formatting preserved during save
operation but the numbering is not.

Stefan Blom

Are you referring to list styles? I'm not very familiar with those.
Instead, I stick to numbering linked to *paragraph styles* (and to field
numbering). However, if you want more information about list styles you
could try asking about them in the numbering newsgroup.

Furthermore, your reference to main documents and sub documents indicate
that the master document feature is involved, which makes things even
more complicated, since master documents are considered unreliable. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm .

For detailed information about Word's numbering, see:

Word's numbering explained
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SAn" wrote in message
news
[...]

SAn

Thank you.
Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't more than you need an answer. "Master
Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a "feature" that not only
doesn't work but also destroys documents. The consensus (with the limited
exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering advice on these newsgroups
is that using the Master Document feature is a good way to destroy your
document. It can destroy parts of your document that you are not even
working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly when he said that there
are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are corrupt and those that
will be corrupt soon. See
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm for ideas on how
to salvage what you can. See
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...masterdocs.doc for
Steve Hudson's instructions if you are willing to follow them very
carefully.

See: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word
document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
news

Numbered Lists Mary Lee Page Layout 5 August 12th 05 04:08 PM
Numbered Lists Anna Summers Microsoft Word Help 9 July 4th 05 06:06 AM
bullets and numbered lists apply to ALL styles Mark at Icom Microsoft Word Help 3 May 26th 05 01:17 PM
restart numbered lists in master documents usergal Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 05 02:27 PM
Justifed text in Numbered lists, last line of parapgraph spacing m ITILMan Microsoft Word Help 4 February 6th 05 04:57 PM