Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Technically Challenged Technically Challenged is offline

Default Missing commands in Word 2007

After "upgrading" to Word 2007, I was appalled to see that my
favorite
commands have disappeared:
1) in Word 2003 you could select any word(s), press Alt+F3, enter an
abbreviation, and thereafter just type the abbreviation + F3 to call
up the text. That keystroke combination doesn't work in Word 2007.
Does anybody know how to do it in Word 2007 (with as few keystrokes
as
possible, since I have to type long texts with long, repetitive
words).
2) In Word 2003 you could select any word(s) and press Shift+F3 to
toggle between uppercase, lowercase, and "Sentence Case". That may
seem trivial, but I translate from German to English and use it all
the time. There's some slow way of doing it in Word 2007 under the
Home menu with the "Aa" icon, but I would appreciate if anybody could
find the equivalent keystroke combination in 2007 or explain to me
(for dummies!) how to progam a macro that would toggle between all
three cases.

Thanks in advance,

TC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

2. Shift+F3 still is the toggle Case command shortcut.

1. A pain! AutoText as it was has now gone - or at least the AutoComplete
popup has gone. It is now called Quick Parts and Alt+F3 still toggles the
create QuickParts window. Just assign the selected whatever as AutoText and
start typing the first 4 characters and press F3. Look up Quick Parts in
Help for a full run down.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Technically Challenged" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

All of the keyboard shortcuts you noted should still work in Word 2007. If
they aren't working then do you the correct keyboard driver for your
keyboard? Check your Control Panel, the Keyboard properties, and the
Hardware tab.

If that's not it, do standard keyboard shortcuts work in other applications?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Technically Challenged Technically Challenged is offline

All of the keyboard shortcuts you noted should still work in Word 2007

I totally agree, they SHOULD work. I don't mean to sound belligerent,
but I'm amazed how people persist in ignoring the facts and talk about
keyboard maps and macro names and other side issues instead of reading
my question and actually comparing the effects of the keystroke
combinations in Word 2003 and Word 2007.
TRY THIS:
Select a Word in Word 2003 and press Shift+F3. At the risk of
repeating myself, the selected word will rotate from lowercase to
uppercase to SENTENCE CASE. Try the same thing in Word 2007 and you
will see that it rotates between uppercase and lowercase ONLY, which
is bad for me because the function I usually need is to transform
sentence case to lowercase. Once again, I would greatly appreciate it
if anybody has devised a macro to toggle between all three cases
(instead of jjust TWO)
TRY THIS:
Select a word or sentence in Word 2003, press Alt+F3. You will see an
Autotext box in which you can enter an abbreviation. Now return to
your text, type the abbreviation + F3 and the whole word will appear.
How anybody can claim that the same function exists under a new name
(Quick Parts) in Word 2007 is beyond me! Just try the same procedure
and see if it has the same effects! For the 100th time, there is no
viable abbreviation system in Word 2007, which slows me down
enormously and costs me a hell of a lot of money since I'm a
translator who's paid by the word. The autocorrect" workaround is not
nearly as efficient and doesn't work for graphics or larger sections.

Regards,

TC

[...]

TC- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Sentence case works exactly the same for me in Word 2007 as it did in Word
2003. Maybe you have never noticed that the changes it cycles through
depends on what has been selected. But if you type a single, isolated word
or a group of words and use Shift+F3, it toggles through al case options as
expected. If you select a whole sentence, then it only toggles through
Sentence Case, lower case and AllCaps. If you want to use ToggleCase or
Capitalise all words, then you need to use the tool in the Font Group.

You can still create AutoText entries (yes, creating is different) but using
an AT entry is identical: type the AT name and press F3.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Technically Challenged" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

As Terry noted, both of the scenarios you describe are the same in Word
2003.

If I type a single word, select it, press Shift+F3, I get lowercase,
UPPERCASE and Sentence case.

If I select a word or sentence, press Alt+F3 I get the Create New Building
Block dialog box. I bit different than AutoText but with added
functionality, finished creating the entry, click OK, and then type the name
of the entry followed by F3, the Building Block is inserted in my document.

Now, on the latter, it could be the name you are using. On the Insert tab,
click Quick Parts and then click Building Blocks Organizer. Click the Name
column to sort your entries by name. Locate one of the entries you created
and see if there is another Building Block using the same name or if there
is one that uses the same initial characters as those you are typing for the
name.

If all of the above checks out, then what language version of Word/Office do
you have installed? Is it English or German?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Technically Challenged Technically Challenged is offline

This is hard to explain to people who don't actually need the command
for my purposes, but Shift+F3 definitely does not work the same at all
in Word 2007, regardless of the default language template. Here's an
example to illustrate my point. I am translating a German text into
English and want to change the German "Hand in Hand" into the English
"hand in hand". In Word 2003, when I select all three words and press
"Shift+F3" it gives me the desired result, i.e. "hand in hand". When I
try the same operation in Word 2007 I get the following useless result
(and here I am pasting in the results directly from Word 2007): "hAND
IN hAND", Can anybody tell me how to make a macro that will rotate
properly for my purposes?

Regards,

TC

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/boo...x#AboutTheBook

Word FAQ:http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax eZine:http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/
MVP FAQ site:http://mvps.org/

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

What you are seeing is tOGGLE cASE which should not be happening and must be
a bug - though I cannot simulate it probably because I am not translating
text. Why not click on the Change Case tool in the Font Group or add the
Change Case button to your QAT. You can then select it with the mouse or use
the ALT+shortcut to select the Lower Case option.

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Having an example helps a lot, thank you. :-)

If I type "hand in hand" in Word 2007, select it and press Shift + F3, I
get:

HAND IN HAND
Hand in Hand
hand in hand

Which language version of Office do you have installed? If you are using the
German version then yes, it could very well be a bug. If you are using the
English version then something else is wrong because my English version of
Word 2007 is not exhibiting the behavior you describe. If that's the case
then while a macro may resolve this immediate issue, if you're having
problems with one keyboard shortcut there may be others and I'm sure you'd
want to find the underlying cause. But first we need to determine if this is
language specific.