D. Reagan

Default Followed help inst's to insert chap numbers but only get page nos

Step 4: Insert Chap Numbers (from Word help). Followed directions precisely
but still only get page numbers. Wish only to show chap & page numbers, ie;
2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. as a right justified footer. Have tried numerous
combinations but canNOT get the chap number to show. Any suggestions?
Thx,
DR

D. Reagan

Default Followed help inst's to insert chap numbers but only get page

Sorry, this still soesn't work. My document is a simple, 6 chapter piece
with 5-6 pages per chapter. For technical reasons I MUST number by chapter -
page number, ie: 1-1, 1-2, 1-3; 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. THe page numbers must
be at the bottom of the page and right justified.
I can get all of this to work except for the chapter. All chapters are
separate files, so there is no conflict or need to separate chapters
preceeding and subsequent. I do not have "headings" as described in much of
the MS Help information, nor will I be able to add any.
Why can't I just creat a simple footer, with a 1-1, 1-2, etc format. The MS
example in the Format Page Number box shows this exact format yet following
through, step by step, always results in just the page number without the
chapter being displayed. I am looking in the Print Layout so its not that
I'm just not seeing the chapter, it really isn't there.
Suzanne, thank you very much for your efforts. Any other ideas.
Thx, again
DR

"D. Reagan" D. wrote in message
Step 4: Insert Chap Numbers (from Word help). Followed directions

precisely
but still only get page numbers. Wish only to show chap & page numbers,

ie;
2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. as a right justified footer. Have tried numerous
combinations but canNOT get the chap number to show. Any suggestions?
Thx,
DR

garfield-n-odie

When you check the "include chapter number" option in the page
numbering dialog, Word picks up the chapter number from the
nearest preceding Heading 1 style. If you don't use the Heading
1 style to number your chapters, how do you know what the chapter
number is, and how do you expect Word to know what the chapter
number is?

"D. Reagan" D. wrote in message

Step 4: Insert Chap Numbers (from Word help). Followed directions

precisely

but still only get page numbers. Wish only to show chap & page numbers,

ie;

2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. as a right justified footer. Have tried numerous
combinations but canNOT get the chap number to show. Any suggestions?
Thx,
DR

D. Reagan

For reasons relating to the subject matter, all "chapters" are labeled
"Section 1, Section 2, Section 3, etc. This labeling is within the text, at
the begining of each individual (separate) "chapter" file. I have no
headers. I only wish to create a footer with 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. page
numbering. I guess I am missing the significance of the "Heading 1 Style."
I will try to learn more about this feature and see if there is some way I
can incorportate it into my documents.
Thank you all for responding to an "older generation" user, therefore
necessarily self-taught, and thus devoid of some elements of knowledge.
DR

"D. Reagan" D. wrote in message

Step 4: Insert Chap Numbers (from Word help). Followed directions

precisely

but still only get page numbers. Wish only to show chap & page numbers,

ie;

2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. as a right justified footer. Have tried numerous
combinations but canNOT get the chap number to show. Any suggestions?
Thx,
DR

garfield-n-odie

Since you manually typed the chapter number in the text, the
easiest thing for you to do is to manually add the 1-, 2-, 3-,
etc., as static text in front of the page number field in the
footer of each chapter file. Or you can try something more
complicated such as using a bookmark and cross-reference, or a
docproperty field.

If you want to learn about styles, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
and