Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris V Chris V is offline

Default Tooltip for Footnote or Endnote Contains no text on hover word 200

This one is driving my wife crazy as she writes articles containing alot of
references.

This functionality actually worked fine up till a month or so ago but that
changed such that now when you hover over the endnote/footnote reference
there is no text being displayed. Only a small empty box is shown.

I have tried turning off/on the "show tooltips" option under display in the
Word options but this has not fixed the problem. I would really appreciate it
if someone could help.

Cheers

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What happens if you start Word in safe mode? Do they display correctly on
hovering then?

If so, there are two things I would try:

1. Try renaming Normal.dotm to Normal-old.dotm.

Word will create a new Normal.dotm, and you can use the organizer to copy
any customized bits to the new one, if need be.

2. If that doesn't fix, it try renaming the Data key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Chris V" wrote in message
This one is driving my wife crazy as she writes articles containing alot
of
references.

This functionality actually worked fine up till a month or so ago but that
changed such that now when you hover over the endnote/footnote reference
there is no text being displayed. Only a small empty box is shown.

I have tried turning off/on the "show tooltips" option under display in
the
Word options but this has not fixed the problem. I would really appreciate
it
if someone could help.

Cheers

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris V Chris V is offline

Default Tooltip for Footnote or Endnote Contains no text on hover word

Thanks for the reply Herb but none of these options worked

There is nothing fancy about the installation - ie no plugins or macros at
all.

If I "deselect" "show document tooltips on hover" from the page display
options then hovering over a footnote does nothing (as expected).

Once I select it though it has the same behaviour - hover over the footnote
reference and see a small icon to the right of the cursor and a "quick blink"
of an empty tooltip box to the upper left of the cursor?

I suspect it is something with the installation (a registered component?) as
it occurs across disparate logins and on new or old documents.