Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lib Lib is offline

Default building block control wont work when protected as form

I have been trying to set up form letters etc in Word.

I have managed to struggle through Microsoft's hopelessly inadequate help in
Word 07 and online, stumbled accross some good 3rd party blogs etc so that I
now have a limited understanding on the content controls.

I have even managed to work out how to set up autotext to use with the
building block control so that I can select the paragraph appropriate to the
circumstances for my lettter - it works great if the document is not
protected in any way.

However when I protect the document to 'fill in forms only' this content
control becomes inactive. If I dont protect the document I loose the benefits
of the automation etc.

the other option is to set the document as read only and allow editing to
some areas, however I find this frustating as I have to click next editable
field - is there a keyboard shortcut for moving between editable fields.

My preference is to enable the building block content control while the
filling in forms protection is on.

Any suggestions.....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Protected forms are best used for forms i.e. gathering data in form fields.
For documents that require free editing there are better ways of gathering
data for insertion at fixed locations that allow the full gamut of Word's
facilities. The simplest such option is the Macrobutton field -
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

The best is the userform. For the basics, see Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm