Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AllanB

Default Connot convert WINGDING file to ordinary text

I wrote a brief message to my granddaughter and converted it to a wingding
file. However neithe she nor I can convert it back to an ordinary text file.
All we see is a string of boxes. We had previously done this without
problems. What can the problem be and is there a solution. Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

The Problem: You tried to break Word, and you achieved your goal
in spectacular fashion. Can you read Wingdings? Can your
granddaughter read Wingdings? Then why convert the document to
Wingdings?

The Solution: Don't create the Problem for yourself anymore.
See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212396 "WD2000: Symbol
Characters Change to Box Characters" and
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm .

AllanB wrote:

I wrote a brief message to my granddaughter and converted it to a wingding
file. However neithe she nor I can convert it back to an ordinary text file.
All we see is a string of boxes. We had previously done this without
problems. What can the problem be and is there a solution. Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AllanB

Aw but you have lost the joy of youth, the thrill of uncovering a secret
message, and finding something special just made for you. Though your answer
may be correct, its attitude is not acceptable. Besides we have been doing
this thing in AOL E-mail without any problems for many months. My mistake was
to use WORD for the same purpose. And yes, all of my grandchildren can read
wingdings, but we won't share the secret with you.