twentw

Default Maintaining formatting when inserting file

I frequently insert, or append, Word files to other Word
files. The Word files that I am appending are carefully
formatted. However, when I do an "Insert File", most of
the formatting goes out the window in favor of formatting
from the document I'm appending to.

Is there any way to maintain all the formatting when
inserting a file?

You'll need to add a Continuous section break at the end of the file to be
inserted (the source file). If there is text in the target file, you'll also
need a section break or breaks separating it from the text to be inserted.
Note that this will bring only document-level formatting from the source
file; Word will still apply the target file's style definitions to
paragraphs of same-named styles in the source file.

"twentw" wrote in message
I frequently insert, or append, Word files to other Word
files. The Word files that I am appending are carefully
formatted. However, when I do an "Insert File", most of
the formatting goes out the window in favor of formatting
from the document I'm appending to.

Is there any way to maintain all the formatting when
inserting a file?

Tim Wentworth

I finally figure this out after looking at your site. I needed the
continuous section break at the beginning of the file I was appending.
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You'll need to add a Continuous section break at the end of the file to be
inserted (the source file). If there is text in the target file, you'll
also
need a section break or breaks separating it from the text to be inserted.
Note that this will bring only document-level formatting from the source
file; Word will still apply the target file's style definitions to
paragraphs of same-named styles in the source file.

so
all may benefit.

"twentw" wrote in message
I frequently insert, or append, Word files to other Word
files. The Word files that I am appending are carefully
formatted. However, when I do an "Insert File", most of
the formatting goes out the window in favor of formatting
from the document I'm appending to.

Is there any way to maintain all the formatting when
inserting a file?

Well, you need a break at the end as well, but you need a break between the
target and source material, which can be placed either in the target or in
the source.

"Tim Wentworth" wrote in message
I finally figure this out after looking at your site. I needed the
continuous section break at the beginning of the file I was appending.
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You'll need to add a Continuous section break at the end of the file to

be
inserted (the source file). If there is text in the target file, you'll
also
need a section break or breaks separating it from the text to be

inserted.
Note that this will bring only document-level formatting from the source
file; Word will still apply the target file's style definitions to
paragraphs of same-named styles in the source file.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.