Bajohns

Default modify style dialog box formatting options

Both the 'new style' and 'modify style' dialog boxes show a dropdown for
language, and the dropdown for color is missing. I have the font and font
size, B (bold) and I (italic), then language which shows as Latin, on first
row, then left, center, right, etc justification options, then spacing
options and indent options on second row, all above the box showing an
example of the paragraph style. Why is language showing? How do I change the
dialog itself to show color as one of the formatting options. It shows
correctly on my formatting toolbar in Word 2003.
Herb Tyson [MVP]

I've never seen what you're seeing. Two possibilities occur to me. Either
there is some kind of corruption (registry, dlls, etc.) that's substituting
language for font color. Or, is it possible that you have some odd language
enabled for which this is a "feature"?

Try starting Word in Safe Mode. Hold down the Ctrl key as you start Word,
keeping it depressed until Word shows up on the task bar. Say "Yes" to safe
mode.

Do the new style and modify style dialogs look correct now?

If so, and if you don't have some kind of odd language installed that might
be causing this, take a look at the diagnostic steps here to see if one of
the suggestions can provide a permanent fix:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Bajohns" wrote in message
Both the 'new style' and 'modify style' dialog boxes show a dropdown for
language, and the dropdown for color is missing. I have the font and font
size, B (bold) and I (italic), then language which shows as Latin, on
first
row, then left, center, right, etc justification options, then spacing
options and indent options on second row, all above the box showing an
example of the paragraph style. Why is language showing? How do I change
the
dialog itself to show color as one of the formatting options. It shows
correctly on my formatting toolbar in Word 2003.

Klaus Linke

The dialog shows the main things you might want to change. For the rest, you
have to drill down to "Format Font" and so on.
I think it wasn't a good idea to duplicate the locations where you can
change the style definition.
The stuff on the main dialog seems a bit buggy, too. At least I avoid it out
of superstition and make my changes in "Format Font", "Format
Paragraph"... only.

Klaus