Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Default Shortcut Keys in Word 2007

I have always used Alt+S to generate the section symbol, but now in 2007 when
I try to assign the symbol it says that "Word cannot change the function of
the specified key."

What up?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How are you doing it, and which version of 2007 are you using: Beta 2 or
Beta 2 Technical Refresh? There were problems with making certain
assignments in Beta 2, but they seem to be fixed in B2TR.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"David" wrote in message
I have always used Alt+S to generate the section symbol, but now in 2007
when
I try to assign the symbol it says that "Word cannot change the function
of
the specified key."

What up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Doing it as follows: Insert--Symbols drop down--More symbols--Special
Characters--pick the section symbol--assign shortcut key.

Get "word cannot change the function of the specified key."

As far as version goes, it just says Beta. Ver 12.0.4017.1003.

"David" wrote in message
I have always used Alt+S to generate the section symbol, but now in 2007
when
I try to assign the symbol it says that "Word cannot change the function
of
the specified key."

What up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

As follows: Insert--Symbols--More Symbols--Special Characters--choose
Section--assign short key, get error message.

Version just says Beta 12.0.4017.1006.

"David" wrote in message
I have always used Alt+S to generate the section symbol, but now in 2007
when
I try to assign the symbol it says that "Word cannot change the function
of
the specified key."

What up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're running straight Beta 2, without the technical refresh patch. You
should run the technical refresh patch. That problem and a zillion others
have been fixed. Get the patch he

(Hopefully, that link won't break when this message appears online. If it
does, then you might need to copy it to your browser address line in two
pieces.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"David" wrote in message
I have always used Alt+S to generate the section symbol, but now in 2007
when
I try to assign the symbol it says that "Word cannot change the
function
of
the specified key."

What up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You would have to be familiar with the various build numbers. I'm running
build 12.0.4407.1005, and I know it's B2TR. Since you're running a much
earlier build (12.0.4017.1006, contrasting 4407 with 4017), and there have
been only two public builds available, B2 and B2TR, then it follows that you
must be using B2.

But, trust me. B2TR is much improved over B2, and well worth the download.
Note that it applies as a patch and not a whole new installation. The only
significant problems I've heard of folks having with B2TR a

1. Norton's Office Plug In (which isn't really needed since Norton already
monitors all files that get put onto your computer) can keep you from
opening files, so you should disable it, and

2. Building Blocks.dotx is now a different format. So, if you get an error
message about that file, you would need to delete your existing user-created
Building Blocks.dotx file before Word 2007 B2TR will run without an annoying
error message.

Cheers,

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP