Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default Centering Article and Article name centered below it

okay, I have an an article style which centers and numbers the article. The
article, of course, has a title to it and I would like to show that title
directly underneath the article. But instead, if I hit enter the whole line
moves down. If I hit shift enter the title properly goes to the next line
and when I tried to center that under article, the title is centered, but the
article is shifted to the right?

Does anyone out there have another program that is better than this? For a
decade styles has been a complete mystery
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

....and why when I center the title, does the article above disappear???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 31, 5:10*pm, bretsharon
wrote:
okay, I have an an article style which centers and numbers the article. *The
article, of course, has a title to it and I would like to show that title
directly underneath the article. *But instead, if I hit *enter the whole line
moves down. *If I hit shift enter the title properly goes to the next line
and when I tried to center that under article, the title is centered, but the
article is shifted to the right? *

Does anyone out there have another program that is better than this? *For a
decade styles has been a complete mystery

Let's see, by "article," do you mean "chapter number"?

Is your cursor at the _end_ of the line with the chapter number when
you press "Enter"?

"Shift-Enter" simply starts a new line that's part of the same
paragraph.

(You should always have at least your Paragraph Marks and your Tab
Characters showing -- in your Display Options (2007) or View Options
(2003). To show all Non-Printing Characters, press Ctrl-Shift-8.)

Does the chapter number paragraph have indentation of the first line
showing on the Ruler? Drag the upper triangle directly over the lower
triangle to fix that.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 31, 5:46*pm, bretsharon
wrote:
...and why when I center the title, does the article above disappear???

Which does it do, disappear or move to the right?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Thank you. The title of the section, I call it "ARTICE" in the legal
document. The modification on the its heading 1, I inserted that it would be
centered. When I put a title, just a couple words like "RECITATION" and hit
inter the article is properly incerted and recitation appears to be centered,
despite the fact that, if I add some characters behind the recitation, you
would excpect article to move to the left. But it doesn't. Note that modify
also has to be set on Left margin, to get it to center. I did that in the
new multilist also.

So now I try to split the recitation on a different line just below it,
using Shift+Enter. Recitation goes on the next line and looks centered
correctly, but article is moved to the right about 75% across the line.

Then, if you curser on the word and use the center command, article
disappears entirely, leaving recitation properly centered.

I'm having a simialr problem with styles, of heading 1,2,3,4,5 which I
create and make it a quick style, and have even named it Normal.docm and the
other extention which I can't think of. But when I go out of word, and call
in a new sheet, styles 2 and 5, loose their aspects, while 1,3,4 are as I
left them. I even made the normal file a "read only file" without any
difference.

There is something wrong with style. I read too many questions and reply
from very intelligent people who have to take extraordinary measures, and
probably give up. For example, using left justify which comes out as
centered. This one Stephanie said took her a lot of time to figure out.

Do you know of a developer who has a program that disposses of the defective
styles and puts in another one?....that is having not been crushed by
Monopoly power of MicroHard?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

I think the problem may be that in the position section of the multilevel
list dialog (or outline list dialog--you didn't say which version), the
number alignment is set at "center". It should be set at "left".
In most circumstances, you should not try to format the numbers in the
multilevel/outline list dialog. Instead, leave formatting to the paragraph
style.

Pam

bretsharon wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Thank you. But I've long known about this anomoly. But sometimes if you put
in center, it does it, but many times you do have to put in left.

bretsharon wrote:
[...]

"Journal Article" and "Article in a periodical" what is the diff? Fris Microsoft Word Help 4 November 15th 08 12:24 AM
Need help on the Article Soniya Microsoft Word Help 1 July 3rd 08 04:26 AM
My article about Word Uriel Microsoft Word Help 0 December 27th 05 12:12 AM
my article 5_06 New Users 0 November 11th 05 01:15 PM
How to summarize and article? Rmg Microsoft Word Help 1 November 7th 05 09:14 AM