Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim_W Tim_W is offline

Default How do I copy only the TEXT of a cross-reference in Word

I need to be able to copy formatted text which includes cross-references, but
without the link. The only Paste Special option which is close is pasting
unformatted text. Even the bitmap options come up with the "Error!..."
message.

Excel can do something like this with the "Paste Special - Value" function,
in which the cell contents are pasted, but not the formula which yielded the
result.

My present (and rather clunky) method is to print to a TIF file with the
Office Document Image Writer, and then copy and paste the graphics.

What am I missing here?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

What version of Word are you using? I tried to reproduce your problem in
Word 2003 running under Windows XP Professional, but pasting as unformatted
text gave me the text of the x-ref rather than the error message.

Fred

"Tim_W" wrote:

I need to be able to copy formatted text which includes cross-references, but
without the link. The only Paste Special option which is close is pasting
unformatted text. Even the bitmap options come up with the "Error!..."
message.

Excel can do something like this with the "Paste Special - Value" function,
in which the cell contents are pasted, but not the formula which yielded the
result.

My present (and rather clunky) method is to print to a TIF file with the
Office Document Image Writer, and then copy and paste the graphics.

What am I missing here?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis Margaret Aldis is offline

Try locking or unlinking fields before the copy and paste. After you've
selected the text, use Ctrl-F11 to temporarily lock, or Ctrl-6 to unlink
(convert to text). When you've done the copy and paste, you can either Undo
to make the links live again, or use Ctrl-Shift-F11 to unlock locked fields.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP