Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue

Default Unable to revise table of contents when using protect document fea

I am trying to protect a few elements on a document and want all the
remaining elements to be open to the user, including the ability to revise
the table of contents. Is there a way to enable this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Try this, Sue:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/p...oft_word.h tm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Sue" wrote in message
I am trying to protect a few elements on a document and want all the
remaining elements to be open to the user, including the ability to revise
the table of contents. Is there a way to enable this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue

Default Unable to revise table of contents when using protect document

Anne,

That article does not answer my question. There appears to be certain basic
Word functions that are locked down when you enable the protect document
features - one of them is the ability to revise the table of contents. I
tried putting section breaks before and after the table of contents and then
identifying that the section was not protected but that did not allow the
ability to revise the table of contents once the protect document feature was
enabled. Do you have any other ideas? Sue

"Sue" wrote in message
I am trying to protect a few elements on a document and want all the
remaining elements to be open to the user, including the ability to revise
the table of contents. Is there a way to enable this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Sue: In what way are you trying to revise the table of contents? Is it an
electronic TOC created using fields? And what version of Word so that I can
test fully?
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Sue" wrote in message
I am trying to protect a few elements on a document and want all the
remaining elements to be open to the user, including the ability to
revise
the table of contents. Is there a way to enable this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue

Anne,

Yes, it is an electronic TOC created using fields. IE.
File/Insert/Reference/Index and Tables/Table of Contents. A little background
might help. We are creating document templates but instead of using the .dot
type of MS Word file, we are using the .doc type of MS Word file to create
them (users are just not comfortable with using .dot types of files - I know,
would be easier if they were). We are trying to find a way to display the
version of the Word document we've created as our 'template' on the cover
page of the Word .doc document such that the user cannot get rid of it when
they do a File/Save As to use the template for their project. I thought I
could use the Protect Document features to do this but when I section up
things so that this one section is protected but all the others are open, I
cannot update my TOC. Once a user does a File/Save As they will add a ton of
content and the table of contents will no longer be accurate - they need to
be able to update them. I hope this makes more sense now.

We are using Word 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2. Sue