Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default Heading 1 Style Changes

My workgroup has text processors and technical writers who all work from the
same server. We are all mapped to the same workgroup templates folder, and
we are all running Office 2003 and NT Professional (SP2).

One of my text processors created a report based on a fairly new template
that we have in our workgroup templates file. In the template, Heading 1 is
centered. However, the technical writer for this particular report wants
Heading 1 left justified in this report only.

The tech writer asked the text processor to change Heading 1 to left
justified. She opened the report and used Format - Styles and Formatting -
Modify to change it in the report (not in the template). A few minutes
later, the tech writer called back to say it was still centered. The text
processor opened the same file and it appeared as left justified on her
machine.

We have checked the same file from six different computers. On half of the
machines the headings appear centered and on half the same headings in the
same file appear left justified. On my computer, they are centered. I can
modify the style (sometimes with Automatically Update checked and sometimes
without), and when I close the file and re-open it, they have reverted to
centered.

We've done this kind of thing before, and it has worked before. This time
it wants to be stubborn. The text processor has 17 years of experience, so
she's not a novice. The template, however, is fairly new. It's only been
used a time or two, and this is the first time we've tried to modify a style
in this template.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this heading to appear one way on
half of our computers and a different way on the other half?

I look forward to getting some ideas, because I'm puzzled.

Thanks,

Fred