Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Keith G Hicks Keith G Hicks is offline

Default temporary editing location marks for finding position

In some programming languages I have the ability to hit a combination of
keys to place a temporary marker on a line that I can return to via another
set of keystrokes. Most of the time they allow 10 or so of these markers to
be used at any time. It's very handy for jumping around in code to the spot
you need to be when moving back and forth from one procedure to another. Is
there something like this in word 03? If I have a long document and am
editing part way down page 4 and then have to look at something on page 12
I'd like to be able to hit a couple of keys to go back to the marker I left
on page 4. I don't want to use anything permanent like setting up hyperlinks
or bookmarks. Just something temporary (it doesn't even have to persist when
the file is closed) that I can set, reset and remove very quickly while
moving around in a document. I looked for some reference to this sort of
thing in the help but was unable to find anything.

Thanks,

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word sets temporary bookmarks at your last three editing locations; these
can be accessed in turn using Shift+F5. For anything more, you'll need to
set actual bookmarks. Have you considered using the Document Map?

"Keith G Hicks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Keith G Hicks Keith G Hicks is offline

Thanks for the suggestion but neither of those really solve my problem.
Shift+F5 I haev no control over so if I'm editing areas that I don't want to
return to later on I'm stuck. That seems like a pretty useless feature. I
just did a bunch of reading about the document map. Ugh. How cumbersome and
little control over that as well. And it seems that it only really works
well if you have a document that has all sorts of outline numbering in it.
I opened up one of my heavily organized contracts and it seems useful but
when I opened up a large document with no outlining in it, there was no map
at all. I just need a quick toggle on/off sort of marker that I can set on
the fly as I'm jumping around. For exmample, I'm editing a section of the
doc that I want to return to in a minute so I hit CTRL+SHIFT+1 for example.
Then I go off to work on some other part of the doc and when I'm done I it
ALT+SHIFT+1 to return. Ideally I could set up to 10 markers (using digits 0
to 9) around the doc. There should be some sort of indication in the ruler
or margin that I've set a marker. I should also have the option of making
them persist or not when the doc is closed. Sure seems that after some 20+
years of Word it'd have something like that. What a drag. Bookmarks are the
next best alternative but they are not really designed for that and are a
bit to awkward for this (too many keystrokes to turn them on and off and get
around with them).

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Document Map relies on heading styles; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html and
http://daiya.mvps.org/docmap.htm

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Randomly brainstorming other approaches to get the functionality you need‹

1) Use either Window | New Window or Window | Compare Side by Side to see
two locations in the same document at the same time.

2) Get in the habit of typing COMEBACK and record a macro that Finds the
text COMEBACK (or CMBK)

3) Perhaps recording a macro so that you can easily create and delete
Bookmarks would work for you?

Links on macros:

Creating a macro with no programming experience using the recorder
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/UsingRecorder.htm

How to modify a recorded macro
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...ordedMacro.htm

How to assign a Word command or macro to a toolbar or menu
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...oToToolbar.htm

Questions would probably better directed to a VBA group:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...g=microsoft.pu
blic.word.vba.general&lang=en&cr=US

If just beginning with macros, this group is for beginners:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...aspx?dg=micros
oft.public.word.vba.beginners&lang=en&cr=US

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/