kbehr

Default Pressing enter sends my cursor about 40 spaces and can't fix

I am typing along on a word document (double spaced) and for no apparent
reason, after finishing a paragraph and attempting to start a new one by
pressing enter, my curson jumps about 40 spaces to the next page as if it was
only one space away. I have tried to reset settings, restore the paragraph,
delete lines and retype them, rebooting the computer, nothing is working and
I am totally stumped. Any suggestions?
Shauna Kelly

Hi kbehr

Here are some troubleshooting steps:

1. File Page Setup. On the Layout tab, make sure the Vertical Alignment
box say "Top".

2. For each of the paragraphs around the problem area, do Format
Paragraph.

2a On the Line and Page Break Tabs, is "Page Break before" ticked? If so,
un-tick it.

2b Is "Keep with Next" ticked? If so, Word will keep this paragraph on the
same page as the next paragraph, even if it means creating a big hole before
this paragraph.

2c Is "Keep Lines Together" ticked? If so, Word will keep all the lines in
this paragraph together on the one page, even if it means creating a big
hole before this paragraph.

3. Select all of the problem paragraphs and do ctrl-q, ctrl-spacebar. That
will take out any direct formatting, and leave the underlying style
formatting.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"kbehr" wrote in message
I am typing along on a word document (double spaced) and for no apparent
reason, after finishing a paragraph and attempting to start a new one by
pressing enter, my curson jumps about 40 spaces to the next page as if it
was
only one space away. I have tried to reset settings, restore the
paragraph,
delete lines and retype them, rebooting the computer, nothing is working
and
I am totally stumped. Any suggestions?

kbehr

Thank you, this helped. I must have accidentally manually entered the
command to separate text. That was a long 2 hours of frustration for
something so simple. :]-