Joan

Default Help! Can't use outlook contact list for envelope in word

I am new to Office 2003. Previously, I had Windows ME with Office 2000 and I
was able to click on tools, envelopes, the address book icon and select an
address and it would insert it on my envelope in Word. Now, I am getting the
following message when I try to do this: Either there is no default mail
client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.
Please run microsoft outlook and set it as the default mail client. When I
close this box I get another box with this message: Logon failed. You must
logon to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book. I use Outlook
express as my email program where I have a contact list with just names and
email addresses. My outlook contact list is more detailed and includes U.S.
mailing addresses which I want to use in word. How do I fix this?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9hbg==?=,

I am new to Office 2003. Previously, I had Windows ME with Office 2000 and I
was able to click on tools, envelopes, the address book icon and select an
address and it would insert it on my envelope in Word... You must
logon to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book. I use Outlook
express as my email program where I have a contact list with just names and
email addresses.

Word can only integrate with address books that meet certain criteria, among
them, being MAPI registered. You don't need to know what this is, but the
important point about this fact is that Outlook EXPRESS does not use this
technology. Therefore, you can use your OE contact list with Word; you'd have to
import it into the "real" Outlook.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Joan

Thank you...so if I understand correctly all the contact information that I
have in Outlook must be entered into Outlook Express? Is there an easy way
to do this without having to type everything manually....I have over 200
contacts. How do I get them into Outlook Express without losing them in
Outlook? Thanks for your help!
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Sm9hbg==?=,

[...]

Graham Mayor

No, that's the opposite of what she meant. Word cannot use the *Outlook
Express* address book without installing (the very expensive) Microsoft
Exchange software. It requires the use of a MAPI complaint e-mail
application such as *Outlook*. Importing the addresses into Outlook will not
affect the addresses in OE.

You would save yourself some problems if you simply used Outlook as your
default e-mail application as this is intended to integrate with Word in a
way that OE is not.

Joan wrote:
Thank you...so if I understand correctly all the contact information
that I have in Outlook must be entered into Outlook Express? Is
there an easy way to do this without having to type everything
manually....I have over 200 contacts. How do I get them into
Outlook Express without losing them in Outlook? Thanks for your help!
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Sm9hbg==?=,

I am new to Office 2003. Previously, I had Windows ME with Office
2000 and I was able to click on tools, envelopes, the address book
icon and select an address and it would insert it on my envelope in
Word... You must
logon to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book. I use
Outlook express as my email program where I have a contact list
with just names and email addresses.

Word can only integrate with address books that meet certain
criteria, among them, being MAPI registered. You don't need to know
what this is, but the important point about this fact is that
Outlook EXPRESS does not use this technology. Therefore, you can use
your OE contact list with Word; you'd have to import it into the
"real" Outlook.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)