andy26

Default How do I change auto numbering into standard text?

I have a document that I need to import into a Database. The document has
legal style numbering so all the paragraphs are preceded by an auto generated
number. Unfortunately the database only sees the numbers against the
headings. Does anyone know of a quick way to convert these paragraph numbers
into fixed text for the whole document?
Cheers
Jezebel

Press Alt-F11 to switch to VBA. In the immediate window (lower right), type

activedocument.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToTe xt

There might be some mainstream (non-VBA) way to do this too.

"andy26" wrote in message
I have a document that I need to import into a Database. The document has
legal style numbering so all the paragraphs are preceded by an auto
generated
number. Unfortunately the database only sees the numbers against the
headings. Does anyone know of a quick way to convert these paragraph
numbers
into fixed text for the whole document?
Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thornton Thornton is offline

Default How do I change auto numbering into standard text in Word 2007

How do I convert auto-page numbers to text in word 2007?

"andy26" wrote in message
I have a document that I need to import into a Database. The document has
legal style numbering so all the paragraphs are preceded by an auto
generated
number. Unfortunately the database only sees the numbers against the
headings. Does anyone know of a quick way to convert these paragraph
numbers
into fixed text for the whole document?
Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The solution to which you have replied should still work in Word 2007. Have
you tried it?

http://word.mvps.org

"andy26" wrote in message
I have a document that I need to import into a Database. The document
has
legal style numbering so all the paragraphs are preceded by an auto
generated
number. Unfortunately the database only sees the numbers against the
headings. Does anyone know of a quick way to convert these paragraph
numbers
into fixed text for the whole document?
Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Page numbers are fields (PAGE fields). They can be unlinked just like any
fields, using Ctrl+Shift+F9, but since they are usually in the header or
footer, unlinking means that all pages will have the same page number.

Why do you want to unlink the page numbers?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"andy26" wrote in message
I have a document that I need to import into a Database. The document
has
legal style numbering so all the paragraphs are preceded by an auto
generated
number. Unfortunately the database only sees the numbers against the
headings. Does anyone know of a quick way to convert these paragraph
numbers
into fixed text for the whole document?
Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thornton Thornton is offline

Not page numbers - I am talking about paragraph numbers. In order to do what
you suggest in word 2007, I had to enable the developers tab, then select
visual basic, then select imediate window, then run the command.

Using that it works. One problem is that while the numbers are now text,
auto number is still on. There does not seem to be an easy way to turn it
off in the document once you have use it.

Also, running VBA from a developers tab and then running such an arcane
command does not seem like a good idea. That function ought to be part of
the main program. Moreover, in searching two books on word 7 I could not
find the answer. Only here.

Just to be clear, in my word 2007 using alt-F11 does not work.

"andy26" wrote in message
I have a document that I need to import into a Database. The
document has
legal style numbering so all the paragraphs are preceded by an auto
generated
number. Unfortunately the database only sees the numbers against
the
headings. Does anyone know of a quick way to convert these
paragraph
numbers
into fixed text for the whole document?
Cheers

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The classic caveat is that if the style still includes auto numbering, then
resetting the style of a paragraph will restore the numbering. You need to
modify the style to remove the numbering.

http://word.mvps.org

"andy26" wrote in message
I have a document that I need to import into a Database. The
document has
legal style numbering so all the paragraphs are preceded by an
auto
generated
number. Unfortunately the database only sees the numbers against
the
headings. Does anyone know of a quick way to convert these
paragraph
numbers
into fixed text for the whole document?
Cheers

.

How come auto text shows in "Styles" instead of "Auto Text"? hsimpson59 Microsoft Word Help 1 May 1st 05 05:04 PM
Change Auto text footer to show only directory & filename Polly Robinson Microsoft Word Help 1 April 29th 05 12:02 PM
Insert Auto Text Chad Page Layout 1 February 3rd 05 07:16 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 03:44 PM
numbering in text box Cath Microsoft Word Help 2 November 24th 04 03:15 PM