pablo2340

Default How can I create TWO separate indexes in a Word2000 document?

I need to create two separate indexes for a long Word 2000 document: one an
index of Proper Names; the other a general analytical index. I know I could
do it by inserting an \f switch followed by, say, "n" (for names) or "a" (for
analysis). However, it does not seem possible to mark the index entries
automatically (using a concordance file) to include such a switch, nor by
selecting the name, word or phrase, using Alt-Shift-X and then "Mark All" -
there is no option offered for switches... I can mark all the index entries
(either automatically or using the second method) and then go back and insert
a \f switch in each one, but, as there are about 2000 occurrences of the XE
field, this is VERY time-consuming, and I have found no way to automate it
using a macro. Any ideas?

Shauna Kelly

Hi

One way to improve things significantly would be to use the search and
replace functionality. If hidden text is displayed and you can see the index
fields, then you can find and replace text within the fields. For example,
search for
XE "Shakespeare"
and replace with
XE "Shakespeare" \f "n"

If you have already marked some of Shakespeare's entries, then you might now
have doubled up switches. To delete the duplicates, you could search for
\f "n" \f "n"
and replace with
\f "n"

There are probably other ways you could automate some, but not all, of what
you want. But it would not be simple, and would depend on what state your
document is currently in. Post back if the find-and-replace solution doesn't
get you far enough and you want to pursue options with macros.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"pablo2340" wrote in message
[...]

pablo2340

Thanks, Shauna. I had tried the replacement technique, but for some reason it
did not seem to work within fields. I see now that it does! So your solution
goes some way to making things easier. But, as there are nearly 500 different
names to be indexed (places, people, etc.), it will still take me some time.
However, I can probably now devise some sort of macro to automate the task,
maybe asking for input for the name, then doing the replacement - in that way
I could work steadily through my list of names.
Thanks again.