Default Inserted references tracked as changes

I am using Word 2003. I choose Track Changes and make sure the Track
Changes button is not pressed in the Reviewing toolbar.

I insert a reference to a figure. Surprisingly, it is underlined and I
get a mark in the margin to show that a change was made in that line.
If I type additional text immediately after the inserted reference, it
is NOT highlighted (implying changes are not being tracked).

I look at the still-displayed Reviewing toolbar and the Track Changes
button is not pressed.

I right-click on the inserted reference and the Accept Insertion
command is displayed in the insert menu as if I am tracking changes.

In summary, it seems like only inserted references are being tracked as
changes, even when Track Changes is turned off. I have inserted
hundreds of references in this document over the last several months
and this just started happening today.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Steve

Shauna Kelly

Hi Steve

Try this. Turn off track changes. On the Reviewing Toolbar, choose Final
Showing Markup. And now, on the Reviewing Toolbar, click the blue arrow to
move to the next tracked change. Are there any in the document? If so,
accept them all. Save the document, close Word and re-open Word.

Now, try inserting a cross reference. Does it work as expected?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I had done that (i.e., accepted all revisions) many times. It would
remove the underline and accept the changes. I also made sure tracking
changes was turned. It would work until a field was updated again. But
it appears that closing and reopening Word was the required trick.
Thanks, Shauna.

Steve