Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
will~

Default How to retrieve data from database

I would like to generate reports in word by retrieve data from an external
data source. (mysql database). This report has the same generic layout so
I thought this I could use mail merge.

I followed the steps in word help to do a mail merge. I have successfully
establish connetion to the data source but I could only retrieve data from
"One table" only. I cannot select more than one table from the data
source...is mail merge not the tool that I should use in this situation?

I would need to retrieve data from more than one table, as well as query the
tables for the results. Please could you give me some advice on how to
achieve this? I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 and Word 2003 SP2, MySQL data
source.

Many thanks in advance,

William
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi will~,

Alas, mailmerge is one table at a time.
Create an additional query in your database that combines the data from the
different tables, and use it as your data source.

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".