Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com

Default Table of Contents - Word 2000

I was asked to create a table of contents and failed miserably.

Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3(all with leader dots) worked fine.

Under Heading 3 were to more headings: Heading 4 and 5. These two headings
needed to be indented and no page numbers were to be shown against this
heading.

I needed more line space between Heading 3 and Heading 4 (than between
Heading 1 and Heading 2) but less space between Heading 4 and Heading 5 (to
show they belonged together), as follows:

Heading 1 - Introduction 1
Heading 2 - Briefing 2
Heading 3 - Data 3

Heading 4 - xxxxxxxxx
Heading 5 - xxxxxxxxx 4

I couldn't get heading 4 not to show leader dots and a page number, couldn't
alter the space, tab, etc.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Kathryn Groves

Did you attempt to modify them in the STYLES dialog boxes (found on the
Format Menu). You have a great deal of flexibility of formatting each Style
(Heading 1 is one style, Heading 2 is another style)....

If not -- try that!

Good Luck!

Kate in Michigan

"Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com" wrote in
message ...
[...]

For the spacing, you need to add some Space Before to the TOC 4 style. To
omit page numbers, you need to add the \n 4-5 switch to the TOC field. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

Note, however, that you seem to be confused about the use of heading styles
(if Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 in your example actually represent
those styles). I suspect that in your example headings 1-3 are actually
Heading 1 style, while headings 4 and 5 are Heading 2 style. If that's the
case, then you won't be able to have more space before Heading 4 than
Heading 5 (because they'll both use TOC 2 style).

Have a look at http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html for the
basics of TOC creation and post back with more details, clarification, and
further questions as needed.

[...]

Thank you for the link it was extremely useful. I hadn’t realised you could
modify TOC1, 2, etc.

I’ve now moved on to fields and am a little confused:

I’ve created three headings and assigned:

Heading 1 – TOC1
Heading 2 – TOC2
Heading 3 – TOC3

When I select the TOC and press Alt + F9, I would expect to see:

{ TOC \o “1-3” \h \z }

However the code I am revealing is:

{ TOC \o “2-9” \ h \z \t “Heading 1,1” }

Can you please help?

If I assign Heading 4 (or a custom heading) when I Insert / Tables and then
Options to assign a TOC level it inserts ticks in styles 5 – 9. What am I
doing wrong?

Every paragraph style in Word has an outline level. Most of them are "Body
Text." All the built-in heading levels have an outline level corresponding
to the heading level: Heading 1 is Level 1, Heading 2 is Level 2, and so on
down to Heading 9. Some other built-in styles also have a heading level as
well (Title is Level 1, Subtitle is Level 2). When you click Options in the
TOC dialog, these outline levels are entered in the list by default, based
on how many TOC levels you've said you want (3 is the default).

You cannot change the outline level of the built-in heading styles (you can
change the outline level of other styles, both custom and built-in), but you
can change the level that's used for the TOC. So, for example, if you're
creating a TOC for a single chapter, you may want to omit the Heading 1
(chapter title) style and just include Heading 2 and 3. Instead of having a
TOC that uses only the TOC 2 and TOC 3 styles, you can type a 1 beside
Heading 2 and a 2 beside Heading 3 (and delete the 1 beside Heading 1) to
"map" those heading levels to a different TOC level.

I'm not sure exactly why you're seeing the TOC field you're seeing:
ordinarily the \t switch appears when you have mapped a style to a given TOC
level that is not already associated with it.

"Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message
Thank you for the link it was extremely useful. I hadn’t realised you

could
modify TOC1, 2, etc.

I’ve now moved on to fields and am a little confused:

I’ve created three headings and assigned:

Heading 1 – TOC1
Heading 2 – TOC2
Heading 3 – TOC3

When I select the TOC and press Alt + F9, I would expect to see:

{ TOC \o “1-3” \h \z }

However the code I am revealing is:

{ TOC \o “2-9” \ h \z \t “Heading 1,1” }

Can you please help?

If I assign Heading 4 (or a custom heading) when I Insert / Tables and

then
Options to assign a TOC level it inserts ticks in styles 5 – 9. What am

doing wrong?

Word 2003 Mailmerge problem - works in Word 2000 Rick Robinson Mailmerge 2 April 28th 05 10:16 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
WORD 2000 pages layout when EXCEL table inserted Quetzalcoatl Page Layout 0 January 4th 05 10:13 PM