Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
southtwin southtwin is offline

Default Word 2007 Read Only Document not printing Date Field Code

We have several documents with date field codes in the footer to display the
date when a document is printed. However, in Word 2007 these read only
documents will not print the date. This is not an issue if we use an older
version of Word, but this is not an option. We've already set the setting to
update field codes before print, but we are having the same issue. Also we
are not looking to have the users save their own version of the document
enable for this to work. Help, what are we doing wrong?

I've been looking for a solution for some time now and did a quick search on
this site and did not see anything. If this is a repeat question, I
apologize.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm not seeing the problem you indicate. I just created a read-only file,
which contains a { DOCPROPERTY LastPrinted } field code. When I open the
file, Word 2007 lists it as (Read-Only). Yet, when I print it, it shows the
correct printing date/time. When I insert a plain { time } field in the
document, it also contains the correct time (since the fields are updates
when the document prints).

Mind you... I can't save the file so that it contains the new date/time.
But, I wouldn't expect to be able to. However, the correct date/time is
shown when I print.

Are you getting this issue on multiple computers? Is it ever working
correctly (i.e., on some computers, but not all), or does the problem occur
on all computers all the time?

Is the file located on a server? (I tried this here, and it still works
fine, though.)

How is read-only being done? Are you setting the properties using Windows
Explorer, or is it being done using Rights Management (I haven't tested this
with the latter)?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"southtwin" wrote in message
We have several documents with date field codes in the footer to display
the
date when a document is printed. However, in Word 2007 these read only
documents will not print the date. This is not an issue if we use an
older
version of Word, but this is not an option. We've already set the setting
update field codes before print, but we are having the same issue. Also
we
are not looking to have the users save their own version of the document
enable for this to work. Help, what are we doing wrong?

I've been looking for a solution for some time now and did a quick search
on
this site and did not see anything. If this is a repeat question, I
apologize.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

PS... I just tried this using an IRM'd file located on a server, and it
continues to work just fine -- the last printed date/time is correctly
updated to the current time (as long as the user has Print permission, which
I assume would be the case for you, since you're able to print, albeit
getting the wrong date).

--

"southtwin" wrote in message
We have several documents with date field codes in the footer to display
the
date when a document is printed. However, in Word 2007 these read only
documents will not print the date. This is not an issue if we use an
older
version of Word, but this is not an option. We've already set the
setting to
update field codes before print, but we are having the same issue. Also
we
are not looking to have the users save their own version of the document
enable for this to work. Help, what are we doing wrong?

I've been looking for a solution for some time now and did a quick search
on
this site and did not see anything. If this is a repeat question, I
apologize.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
southtwin southtwin is offline

We are using the Prepare - Mark for final. Off the file menu

I'm wondering if this is our issue.

"southtwin" wrote in message
We have several documents with date field codes in the footer to display
the
date when a document is printed. However, in Word 2007 these read only
documents will not print the date. This is not an issue if we use an
older
version of Word, but this is not an option. We've already set the
setting to
update field codes before print, but we are having the same issue. Also
we
are not looking to have the users save their own version of the document
enable for this to work. Help, what are we doing wrong?

I've been looking for a solution for some time now and did a quick search
on
this site and did not see anything. If this is a repeat question, I
apologize.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ah. Yes. I suspect that's the problem. When I mark a document as "final",
the print date field disappears entirely when I print the file.

Possibly not the solution you want... but a workaround would be to toggle
and then toggle Mark as Final back on.

--

"southtwin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
southtwin southtwin is offline

Well, at least we know what's causing the issue. Not a desired solution, but
a possible work around.

I appreciate your support and feedback on this issue.

Thank you