Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mnew27

Default Help: My table of contents won't update when I protect my document

Hi, I've been asked to create a document that can be used by a number of
people as a template so that the look of the documents they produce are
consistent. I've so far created a standard document (.doc) and not an actual
Word "template" (.dot).
The document contains a table of contents and is currently 7 pages long:
title sheet, TOC, amendment table, then the document body consisting of
heading1, heading2 and body text). When a user wants to create their own
document, they will use mine as a basis and add their own text to the main
body, adding new headings and body text. So I've split it into sections,
protecting those areas I don't want them to be able to edit and have created
styles for heading1, heading2, bodytext etc. However when I turn the
protection on and then edit the document to test it, the table of contents
doesn't update (I add a few more headings and extend the document so it rolls
on to more pages). But when I turn the protection off, it does! I've looked
at the various settings on the protect document task pane and have allowed
editing against all of the styles used in my document (even the TOC styles),
but this still doesn't work. I tried changing the protection to "tracked
changes" (not that I need to track changes), but this doesn't give me the
option to protect the sections. How can I protect the document so that
people don't mess around with the layout/format/styles, allows them to add
their own main body text which results in a longer document and also enables
the TOC to be updated automatically? Many thanks inadvance. Maria
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi mnew27

To achieve this, you need a macro that turns off protection, updates the
Table of Contents and turns protection back on.

There's an example of the basic code required at
How to enable the spellchecker in a protected document
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...ProtectDoc.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word