Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JFMcElroy JFMcElroy is offline

Default Document footer changes when opening Word

A client emailed us a word document. Two of us can open it and everything
looks fine, but another two users attempted to open it and the page numbers
all said "35" along with an error code to the left of the footer. We are all
running the same version of Word on the 2003 Small Business Server.
--
Joanna
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What does the error code say?

Also, if everyone clears the "Allow starting in Reading Layout" option on
the General tab of Tools | Options, then do page numbers behave?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JFMcElroy" wrote in message
A client emailed us a word document. Two of us can open it and everything
looks fine, but another two users attempted to open it and the page
numbers
all said "35" along with an error code to the left of the footer. We are
all
running the same version of Word on the 2003 Small Business Server.
--
Joanna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JFMcElroy JFMcElroy is offline

Thanks - I have cleared the Reading Layout option on both computers and it
didn't help. It works on my end and I have the reading layout option
selected - not sure if that means anything?
--
Joanna

"JFMcElroy" wrote in message
A client emailed us a word document. Two of us can open it and everything
looks fine, but another two users attempted to open it and the page
numbers
all said "35" along with an error code to the left of the footer. We are
all
running the same version of Word on the 2003 Small Business Server.
--
Joanna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"JFMcElroy" wrote in message
Thanks - I have cleared the Reading Layout option on both computers and it
didn't help. It works on my end and I have the reading layout option
selected - not sure if that means anything?

Apparently it means that my guess was wrong; the Reading Layout view is not
a factor in this case.

What was the exact error message? What contents have been inserted into the
footer?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Joanna

"JFMcElroy" wrote in message
A client emailed us a word document. Two of us can open it and
everything
looks fine, but another two users attempted to open it and the page
numbers
all said "35" along with an error code to the left of the footer. We
are
all
running the same version of Word on the 2003 Small Business Server.
--
Joanna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JFMcElroy JFMcElroy is offline

I'll take any help you're willing to try!

As it turns out it's not an error message in the footer - it's the clients
own internal coding! So that won't help either.

I'm usually pretty good and figuring things out but this has me stumped.
--
Joanna

"JFMcElroy" wrote in message
A client emailed us a word document. Two of us can open it and
everything
looks fine, but another two users attempted to open it and the page
numbers
all said "35" along with an error code to the left of the footer. We
are
all
running the same version of Word on the 2003 Small Business Server.
--
Joanna

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

So the only problem is that page numbers do not increment properly?

Have you tried copying the contents, except for the final paragraph mark
(¶), into a new blank document (in case this is a mild form of document
corruption)?

Note that in order to show/hide paragraph marks, as well as other
nonprinting marks, you can press Ctrl+Shift+8.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news