Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bigkahuna Bigkahuna is offline

Default Text page numbers

Is there a way to have page numbers be text rather than numeric when using
the page function in a header or footer? Rather than use numeric characters
for page numbers I would like to use the alpha text page number is there a
way in Word 2007 to accomplish this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Insert the page number as desired. Alt+F9 to display the PAGE field. Add the
\*CardText switch. If you want the number capitalized, add the \* Caps
switch as well. Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update if needed.

"Bigkahuna" wrote in message
Is there a way to have page numbers be text rather than numeric when using
the page function in a header or footer? Rather than use numeric
characters
for page numbers I would like to use the alpha text page number is there a
way in Word 2007 to accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bigkahuna Bigkahuna is offline

Thanks I just found a similar response from 2007 that you and Graham Mayor
had given and put it to good use. I did note that both of you had mentioned
being able to find out more about formatting switches with a help topic, but
I have been unable to get the topic indicated to come up. Can you please
provide detail of how to get this list of *\ field switches in Word help?

Thanks

"Bigkahuna" wrote in message
Is there a way to have page numbers be text rather than numeric when using
the page function in a header or footer? Rather than use numeric
characters
for page numbers I would like to use the alpha text page number is there a
way in Word 2007 to accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I usually find it by typing "number format" into the "Type a question for
help" box in Word 2003 and then looking for "Format (\*) field switch" in
the search results. I have no idea how successful this might be in Word
2007....Well, let's just see.

Hmm, even using "Number format switches" as the search text, I don't get
results that look very promising, but in fact, the first hit, "Insert and
format field codes in Word" actually has the desired information. If you
scroll all the way down to "Add a formatting switch to a field code," you'll
get information on the various formatting switches. You definitely have to
know what you're looking for, though.