Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina

Default Table of Contents Shows 1st letter only

I am working on a large document. Most of the items appear in the table of
contents. I have a few where only the 1st letter of the entry shows.

All the styles for the headings are the same. There aren't any blank before
or after any of the headings.

I don't see anything different for these headings than the others. I tried
putting blank spaces before the heading the see if that changed it but no
luck.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Tina wrote:
I am working on a large document. Most of the items appear in the table of
contents. I have a few where only the 1st letter of the entry shows.

All the styles for the headings are the same. There aren't any blank before
or after any of the headings.

I don't see anything different for these headings than the others. I tried
putting blank spaces before the heading the see if that changed it but no
luck.

Sounds weird. I'd check for anything unusual in the headings again. Make
sure you see all unprintable characters (notably: hidden text). Is the
TOC compiled of paragraphs or from TC field entries?

Check the TOC field code (select the whole TOC and hit SHIFT-F9). If you
are not familiar with the TOC switches, look up the TOC field code in
your offline help.

The TOC field code tells you ultimately how Word is instructed to gather
its entries.

Post the code back if the problem can't be solved.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Tina wrote:
[...]

Is the

I can see all unprintable characters.

"TOC compiled of paragraphs or from TC field entries?"
TOC is compiled of field entries

F9'd the TOC. It updates but nothing in the problem lines still there.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina

I was able to fix one of the entries. I shortened the name of the title along
with the Index entries and it is ok. I tried the same method with another one
but no luck. All the TOC fields are the same and they all have Index entries.
This is very odd.

"Tina" wrote in message

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Tina wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Now you're really confusing me. "Index entries"? What does that have to do
with the TOC? Is this a TOC or an index? Are you using TC fields or XE
fields? Have you tried creating a TOC based on styles? See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Inspect the TC fields and see which ones have been created incorrectly.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tina" wrote in message

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Tina wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina

I have a style heading 3 used for the TOC and then I select the heading and
create index (XE) entries (making a recipe book) based on the TOC. As long
as I shorten the XE entries (not too many or shorten up the name) I don't
have the TOC problem. I don't know why I am having the problem though because
some of the other entries are long and work ok. I have found a work around to
this. The reason and answer are still a mystery.

"Tina" wrote in message

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Tina wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tina

The sample I sent works for Suzanne but not for me. Any ideas as to why TOC
won't update on different machines?