peri-d

Default Spellcheck "add" words function - Word 2003

Spellcheck no longer lets me add new words to documents or Emails. Please
help me understand why and fix this.
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 09:55:05 -0800, peri-d
wrote:

Spellcheck no longer lets me add new words to documents or Emails. Please
help me understand why and fix this.

If you're being told the dictionary is full, the message may be bogus;
see “You receive an error message when you add a word to the custom
dictionary in Word 2003” at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813996.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
peri-d

I do not get an error message. The "add to dictionary" choice which should
appear during spellcheck is grayed-out. Also, I found we have only a "custom
dictionary" named "Italian." I have never gone into it. We have assumed it
exists somehow because we often translate messages to Italian for a business
associate in Italy. We never asked to create an "Italian" custom dictionary
or any other custom dictionary. We also send messages translated into German,
but nothing ever created a "German" custom dictionary. The spellcheck picks
up my wife's name--Peri--as an error but won't let us add it to the
dictionary.
Thank you.
Mike Coburn

wrote:

Spellcheck no longer lets me add new words to documents or Emails. Please
help me understand why and fix this.

If you're being told the dictionary is full, the message may be bogus;
see €śYou receive an error message when you add a word to the custom
dictionary in Word 2003€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813996.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Hi Mike,

Spell checking and the custom dictionaries are language-specific, so
it's possible that Word "thinks" your text is in some language other
than English. Right-click a word that's flagged as misspelled and
choose Language to see what Word's selection is. In the Set Language
dialog, if "automatically detect language" is checked, turn it off.
(This feature doesn't work very well.)

If you still have a problem after that, I think you should work
through one or both of the procedures in the KB article I cited,
starting with replacing the custom dictionary file.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman