SeneS0DG

Default Inserting Comments in MS Word

Is there any way to keep Word from automatically inserting UserID at the
start of Comments? We are using the comments feature to add detail to
procedural documents and would like to not include the user ID when comments
are highlighted with the mouse.

CyberTaz

Hello-

Deleting the User Info will not work, at least not in 2003. You can edit the
User Info to read otherwise, but if you try to _delete_ the content from Name
or Initials, it will come right back.

I don't know of any way to alter the Comments feature, but I would suggest
using a different technique all together... Have you taken a look at the
AutoShapes drawing tools. They are outstanding for the purpose you describe
and give you a great deal more flexibility in every regard than Comments,
i.e. color, size, placement, and most any of them (not just Callouts) can
have text entered into them.

HTH |:)

"SeneS0DG" wrote:

Is there any way to keep Word from automatically inserting UserID at the
start of Comments? We are using the comments feature to add detail to
procedural documents and would like to not include the user ID when comments
are highlighted with the mouse.

SeneS0DG

Thank you for your response. I have been using the text boxes but was hoping
to be able to use the comments feature. I like the way they print out and
wanted the ability to hide them from users who don't need the detail that
they contain.

I did find a macro that can change or remove the UserID and initials in all
comments that I've started to use. If I could now make the highlights go
away it would be perfect. That way when view comments is off, the reader
won't see any signs of comments unless they pass over one with their mouse.

Thanks again for your response.

"SeneS0DG" wrote:

Is there any way to keep Word from automatically inserting UserID at the
start of Comments? We are using the comments feature to add detail to
procedural documents and would like to not include the user ID when comments
are highlighted with the mouse.

The setting "Remove person information from file properties on save" (Tools

"SeneS0DG" wrote:

Is there any way to keep Word from automatically inserting UserID at the
start of Comments? We are using the comments feature to add detail to
procedural documents and would like to not include the user ID when

comments
are highlighted with the mouse.

CyberTaz

Hi Suzanne-

Haven't had reason to try it on the PC, but in MacWord that setting actually
_replaces_ the User-Specific info with the word 'Author' plus the Date &
Time of the comment, and the label "Comment:" still appears at the beginning
of the comment text.

Regards |:)

On 8/5/05 6:59 PM, in article , "Suzanne
S. Barnhill" wrote:

The setting "Remove person information from file properties on save" (Tools
| Options | Security) reportedly removes this information from Comments.

If the object of the exercise is to remove the names of specific reviewers,
that should suffice.