Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diver Sue Diver Sue is offline

Default Insert symbol - choices are limited and scrolling has disappeared

Last time I inserted a symbol the box which contains the symbols had a large
range that I could scroll through to choose the one I wanted. Then when I had
inserted one, that one stayed in a 'recently used' short menu within the
symbol window. Today I go to the symbol window and I have a tiny range, no
scrollbar and no recently used short menu. Can anyone tell me what might be
going on???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The limited range would indicate you're looking at a font that contains only
the standard ANSI character set. See if the box in the bottom right-hand
corner says "Symbol (decimal)" or "ASCII (decimal)." But I can't account for
loss of the MRU panel. Note that the Symbol dialog can be resized, but I
don't think it's possible to resize it so small that you would eliminate the
MRU panel.

Assuming you're using a version earlier than Word 2007, are you opening the
dialog using Insert | Symbol? If you're using Word 2007, the display you get
from the Symbol button on the Insert tab *is* the MRU list; you have to
click on More Symbols... to get the dialog.