Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julie in Sussex Julie in Sussex is offline

Default Save As in Word 2007 - display of files in folder

Hi,
I started a new document by selecting a template. I then wanted to save it
immediately with a document file name. When I did a Save As and selected the
correct Folder for it to be saved in, I couldn't see the names of the files
which were already there!! I double checked in Computer, and the files are
definitely there. However, when I open an existing document Save As works as
expected - all files in the Folder are displayed.
This is a real nuisance as I need to name documents in numerical order - I
pick the next one by checking the last file name used, e.g. if I see
Letter12, I would name the new document Letter13.
I have checked through various options in Word, and both on-line and
off-line help but cannot find any reference to how to sort it out.
Please advise!
Regards,
Julie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

One quick check:
Ensure that the Save As Type is for the file type you are looking for, it
could have been changed to say RTF and so you wont see any .docx.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Julie in Sussex" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Julie in Sussex" wrote:

Hi,
I started a new document by selecting a template. I then wanted to save it
immediately with a document file name. When I did a Save As and selected the
correct Folder for it to be saved in, I couldn't see the names of the files
which were already there!! I double checked in Computer, and the files are
definitely there. However, when I open an existing document Save As works as
expected - all files in the Folder are displayed.
This is a real nuisance as I need to name documents in numerical order - I
pick the next one by checking the last file name used, e.g. if I see
Letter12, I would name the new document Letter13.
I have checked through various options in Word, and both on-line and
off-line help but cannot find any reference to how to sort it out.

You write : "I started a new document by selecting a template. I then
wanted to save it immediately with a document file name."

Do you actually open the template, or create a document based on that
template?
If the former (You will see the name of the template in the title bar at the
top of the window), when you do "Save As", Word will try to crete a new
*.dot, not a *.doc, which means that you will not see the *.doc files in the
current folder where you are trying to save. Make sure you are creating a new
document based on the template.