Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Todor Eric Todor is offline

Default Word 2007 searching for non-existant server

This problem can be replicated on all machines in the environment here. When
you click on the Office Button -- New -- My Templates (on the left hand
side) Word will lock up from 30 to 45 seconds.

After looking at some netstat logs and information from process viewer, Word
is attempting to query a server that's no longer online. The server its
trying to access is not located in any of the settings within Word.

My question is why is Word 2007 doing a microsoft-ds query when you try to
open My Templates? Also, can this search be disabled so that it defaults to
the settings specified within Word?

Thank you,
--Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Todor Eric Todor is offline

I've figured it out. Within the share that Word points to for the "workgroup
templates" were shortcuts. These shortcuts were pointing to files that no
longer existed (whether its the file that doesn't exist or the server I'm not
sure). Either way, the solution was to remove all of the shortcuts out of
the templates folder.

--Eric