Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Butterfly Bill[_2_] Butterfly Bill[_2_] is offline

Default Page numbers thru multiple documents in Word 2007

Is there any way I can link several .dotx documents in Word 2007? I
want to
maintain a common page number sequence thru them (they are chapters in
a book, and the whole thing would make an uncomfortably long single
document). There used to be a thing called "Master Document" in 2003
and 97, but I get no matches when I enter that term into the help for
2007.

-Butterfly Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Master document was always broken! Word can handle documents of thousands of
pages, so unless your book is a technical tome for a government agency that
no-one is ever going to refer to again, you can create a single document and
number that.

Butterfly Bill wrote:
Is there any way I can link several .dotx documents in Word 2007? I
want to
maintain a common page number sequence thru them (they are chapters in
a book, and the whole thing would make an uncomfortably long single
document). There used to be a thing called "Master Document" in 2003
and 97, but I get no matches when I enter that term into the help for
2007.

-Butterfly Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Jul 28, 11:39*pm, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Master document was always broken! Word can handle documents of thousands of
pages, so unless your book is a technical tome for a government agency that
no-one is ever going to refer to again, you can create a single document and
number that.

I did that, and found that my 150,000 word work is 411 pages of 5.5 x
8.5 -- and a file size of barely over 1000K. (I can even use a
floppy!) Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Jul 29, 4:43*pm, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Floppy!!! You still use a floppy drive?

Yes. It's already there and it's the right size for files of lengths
like 2KB, and it's easier to make a stack of them that you can label
and sort thru than those little plastic thingies.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Never ever read from, write to, or print from floppy with Word. These are
the most certain methods of ensuring document corruption.

Always copy to/from the hard disc and work on the document from there.